Wired ethernet drops when I use a switch
testdummy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi -

Out of the blue a couple of days ago, I have the same issue.  I have a network switch (Netgear) connected to the router (1100) with multiple wired connections going to the switch (computers, Netflix, etc).  Additionally I have wireless disabled on the Verizon router as I have another wireless router (which is wired to the Netgear).

This setup has worked flawlessly for at least 10 years.  A couple of days ago, out of the blue, any wired/wireless connections not directly connected to the 1100 (4 LAN slots), stopped working.  I called Verizon support and things looked fine at their end, and surprisingly, the network was functional again, so we closed the ticket.  This morning, we are back to square one.  I replaced the Netgear with a brand new 16 port, to no avail.  I'm limping along by connecting critical devices to the 1100 (Wireless router, my and my wife's work computers).  But there have been no network changes in the past two days, so this behavior is very strange.  I see that others are having/have had this issue, but I don't see a reliable and definite solution to the problem.  I will try calling in to support again and escalating it, but I am not very optimistic.  Any help from the forum?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired ethernet drops when I use a switch
testdummy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem solved!  When I realized that the issue only manifests when the switch is connected to the router, and both old and new switches exhibited the problem, I switched out the CAT-5 cable between them and the problem went away.  So it was simply a bad cable which also explains the intermittent nature of the problem.  All good now.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although I don't have a Netgear switch, I do experience similar issues with Netgear Powerline Adapters with an on-board two port switch (PL-2000 I believe.) Those powerline adapters worked fine for over a year, then one day the Ethernet light on both adapters turn red and lost link to the G1100. I called NetGear support, but they won't connect unless I pay for their service first.

My father advised me not to purchase Netgear again and we went to Cisco gears instead. Cisco never had a problem. Cisco managed products do take some skills to configure and require spending more money. TP-Link works fine too. The first router I seem in my life is a TP-Link.

Actiontec and Verizon (made by Greenwave Systems) gears work rock solid too. At least they are happy with Cisco and TP-Link stuff.

testdummy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Problem solved!  When I realized that the issue only manifests when the switch is connected to the router, and both old and new switches exhibited the problem, I switched out the CAT-5 cable between them and the problem went away.  So it was simply a bad cable which also explains the intermittent nature of the problem.  All good now.