Wired vs. Wireless
LSuex

Would like to have my desktop computers wired and still have wireless capabilities.  The wireless router is in one room with my laptop that I use both wired and wireless (depending on where I'm sitting).  However, wireless gets poor connection in one of the bedrooms and would like to connect that computer via ethernet cable.  

At one point the wireless router was in that bedroom so there is a co-axle cable left.  Can I simply add another router and then connect the ethernet cable to that router?  Or, should I just run ethernet from the room with the existing router to the other rooms that want a wired connection?

0 Likes
Re: Wired vs. Wireless
MacPC

@LSuex wrote:

Would like to have my desktop computers wired and still have wireless capabilities.  The wireless router is in one room with my laptop that I use both wired and wireless (depending on where I'm sitting).  However, wireless gets poor connection in one of the bedrooms and would like to connect that computer via ethernet cable.  

At one point the wireless router was in that bedroom so there is a co-axle cable left.  Can I simply add another router and then connect the ethernet cable to that router?  Or, should I just run ethernet from the room with the existing router to the other rooms that want a wired connection?

========================================================================================== 

There are many possible ways to resolve this challenge -- a lot depends on the layout of your home or apartment, your budget, and what you are willing to tolerate from an asthetic point-of-view.

1. Simplest solution:  run a (long) ethernet cable from the wireless router to the remote bedroom, and plug it into the computer there.  Wired performance is almost always better.  Hiding the ethernet cable can be tricky.

2. Buy a "Powerline" ethernet bridge kit to use the electrical wiring in your walls as the networking cable between the wireless router in one room to the computer in the other room.  The Powerline kit has two units that plug into a wall socket (not into a power strip!!) -- the first gets plugged in adjacent to the router and is connected to the router with an ethernet cable, the second unit is plugged into the wall outlet in the bedroom, and an ethernet cable runs from it to the computer in the bedroom.  The units typically must be paired to set a security code, but this is typically just done once.

Powerline systems will only work if the electrical outlets in the two rooms are on the go through the same junction box, which may not be the case in some apartments and larger homes.  If you decide to go this route, read reviews on CNET.com, Amazon.com, and get one of the newer kits with the 200 Mb per second throughput (will cost ~ $120 or so).

You get what you pay for.   Save your receipt in case it does not work for your application.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

As MacPC said, running an ethernet cable is probably the easiest and simplest, but that of course does depend on the layout of your house/apartment.

Another solution is to get a NIM-100 and a splitter (splitter only needed if you also want to attach an STB for a TV in that room) and attach them to the coax. The NIM is what Verizon first used with FiOS, before they had the routers that would communicate ethernet traffic over the coax. What you do is buy a NIM off of eBay or somewhere (or maybe even find a Verizon tech driving around that still has one in his truck), then connect the input of the NIM to the coax and plug an ethernet cable to the output and your PC, and bingo, you have wired ethernet connection to the router. I had a leftover NIM from my original install, my wife complained about the wireless speed and reliability, I used the NIM to do exactly what you want, although I also used a splitter because there is a TV with STB in the same room.

If you decide to go this route and use a splitter, make sure you get one that covers up to 1 GHz and is bidirectional. The safest solution here is to get a Verizon tech to give you one from his truck, they always carry them and from my experience they will just give you one (I got one that way).

I have not priced NIM-100s on eBay but I have seen posts saying around $65.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the nim's and/or adding a 2nd actiontec (cuz it has a nim built into it) are the best solutions, but it's a shame because if you call tech support at verizon, they don't support or don't know how to support that type of a configuration.   So you have to rely on your own wits or the help of other board members either here or at dslreports.com to get most of your answers.

Brand new those devices are expensive, but if you buy them at ebay or used they can be potentially very cheap, like another actiontec at ebay I have seen for 17 bux before. but are usually around 40 - 60

0 Likes