Wireless Bridge with Actiontec
Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to install an access point some distance from my Actiontec FIOS router (without an ethernet connection) so that I can connect a TV and a DVD player via ethernet to thje access point.  Running ehternet cable up two stories from the basement is not a practical solution.  It appears that something like the DLink DAP 1522 wil allow me to do this.  Has anyone used the DLink successfully with the Actiontec?  Or are there any recommendations for another wireless DAP that will provide the same capability?

Regards, Dan

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Bridge with Actiontec
joeyhol75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you have a coaxl connection in that room?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Dan_S wrote:

I want to install an access point some distance from my Actiontec FIOS router (without an ethernet connection)

Keep in mind that a wireless bridge will cut your wireless speed in half.  It has to receive each packet on one channel then turn around and retransmit it on another channel.

If you have coax where you want the WAP, consider the following.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

0 Likes
Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good point that I hadn't considered.  But I have neither coax nor ethernet to the room in question so I might have to accept that limitation.

Regards, Dan

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered powerline extension as an alternative.  The newer powerline network extenders work quite effectively and at high speeds.

In order of preference, I would extend the network using:

- Ethernet

- MoCA repeater (Ethernet over Coax)

- Powerline

- Wireless

The order of preference on Ethernet vs MoCA is simply expense in the equipment required as a simple switch will be far cheaper than a MoCA repeater/adapter.  The selection is often a matter of what media you have available at the remote end of the connection or how easily you can get it there.

As I'm writing this, I note you say that it's for a TV and DVR ... so I would assume that you already have Coax in the room.  Is it FiOS TV?  If so, then the MoCA adapter is the simple solution -- just split the TV coax, hook on end to the cable box and the other to a MoCA adapter (ActionTEC HME2200/ECB200 available online from various sources) and you'll have a network connection in the room attached to your FiOS internet -- no configuration necessary.

Maly1

Hi,

I am interrested in doing the same thing. (connecting my router, AP or bridge to FIOS router/modem through wireless newtowk) but using the 2nd router or bridge connections as ethernet connections only. will this also cut the speed into half?

Thanks 

0 Likes