Switch Account

Wireless Connect Security With a Wired Network?

Wireless Connect Security With a Wired Network?

Contributor gtannenb
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(4,782 Views)

I am a newbie to wireless networks as I have always had a wired network. I currently have FIOS interest and use the supplied Actiontec combined modem & router.  I have the wireless portion disabled as I do not feel secure in that people could not access my network via the wireless function. In addition, it is far from any place that I would need a wireless signal in my home.

I want to now have wireless access but want to try to keep it separate from my wired network. In addition, I prefer to continue to use the FIOS hardware. I have purchased an ASUS WL-520gU wireless router, which can be upgraded with Tomato or DD-WRT.

Are there any ways to have wireless internet only access separate from my wired home network?  I don't want the two sides to see each other but am concerned about conflicts with using the FIOS supplied modem & router and a wireless router.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 4
(4,739 Views)

I point to http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

If you have any questions, please ask..

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I
Message 3 of 4
(4,713 Views)

You could try to give your wireless unit an IP of 192.168.2.1 (the Verizon one will be 192.168.1.1).  I am not familiar with your particular unit's method of accessing its control panel, but I did this once with a Linksys model, and their information is here: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3733&lid=3726837401B...

The configuration you seek is towards the bottom of the page (LAN on the main router to the WAN on your wireless one).

Hope this helps.  Smiley Happy

Platinum Contributor III
Message 4 of 4
(4,697 Views)

Also, be aware of the trade offs.

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.