Wireless Connectivity Drops in the Summer
frogbank

During fall, winter, and spring, my wireless connectivity is great. The signal quality is fine and the speed stays at 52 mbps, with an occassional drop to 39 mbps. 

This problem happened last year at the same time. My room sits farthest from the router, but the problem only occurs during the summer months. Skype lags and drops calls constantly, chrome takes it's time to load webpages, and Netflix will freeze and lag even if I am not using any other application. Right now, my connection is going in between 13-26 mbps, with only chrome open. I chatted with someone for 45 minutes, only for him to tell me that I should purchase a speed booster for the router that is roughly around 80 dollars. I should not have to invest in something when the problem in only temporary. 

I honestly believe that because school is letting out for the summer, Verizon is cutting bandwidth and it is making people have horrible connection even though they pay more than enough for Verizon's service. I don't want to have to call their customer service daily so I can finally get the service that is being paid for. They need to fix this problem since last summer was extremely aggravating, and I do not want to go through multiple phone calls just to recieve the same answer that I should purchase an attachment or consider upgrading for an already overpriced service. 

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Connectivity Drops in the Summer
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can prove the "cutting bandwidth" theory by wiring into your router. If the connection works perfectly while wired in then the problem is not Verizon caused, or one they can control. That is just your wireless environment, which Verizon can suggest fixes for, but cannot guarantee results. That's the breaks of the game with Wireless.

If 2.4Ghz wireless is crowded in your area you have three options. Put your high usage Internet devices on a wired connection to the router. Move your router to a better spot relative to your devices. Consider using 5Ghz Wi-Fi which will require devices that support 5Ghz, and purchasing some access points (this is the expensive part) to help blanket your home with 5Ghz as the signal will not travel too far due to the frequency.

Re: Wireless Connectivity Drops in the Summer
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Other thing you can do is try a speedtest.

Using a wired connection (and nothing else going on) connect to speedtest.verizon.net

That will verify that there is nothing wrong with your connection from your PC to Verizon network.

0 Likes