Wireless Connectivity Issues
teetee

I am currently having a problem maintaining my wireless connection and I am not sure what is causing the problem.  I believe it's either Vista or Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) causing the problem.

I have Verizon FiOS and use an Actiontec MRI424WR router.

I have a Dell desktop running XP, a Dell laptop running, Vista Ultimate, and a Toshiba laptop running Vista Ultimate.

Both Dell systems are running KIS 2009 and the Toshiba is running KIS.

I do not have any connectivity issues with the Toshiba or Dell desktop.  On the Dell laptop, I can connect locally but not to the Internet.

I started comparing the settings on my laptops.  I found that on my Toshiba, the Network discovery is set to "On" and on the Dell the Network discovery is set to "Custom".  I have tried numerous times to change the setting on the Dell to "On", but it doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is causing the problem, but it's a difference that I found that I haven't been able to change it in order to test it.

This is what I do on my Dell to change the Network discovery settings:
- Check my Network discovery setting and it is "Custom"
- Click on Network discovery down arrow
- Select the "Turn on network discovery" option (Note: The "Turn off network discovery" option is grayed)
- Click Apply
- Click Continue on the User Account Control window
- Check my Network discovery setting and it still says "Custom"

On the Dell laptop, I have verified that my network is "Private".  I even deleted it and recreated it just to be sure.

I found an article that stated the problem could be the fact that I was not running Windows Firewall.  So I turned of KIS 2009 Firewall and turned on the Windows Firewall.  This didn't help.

I have also reset my router twice and this doesn't solve the problem either.  I also make sure to reboot my laptop after each attempt to fix the problem.

If you have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, please let me know.  If you need more info from me before making a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Connectivity Issues
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
It could also be the router.

One of the issues about the router, they have small routing table(s).

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

I would check if the router is the issue, some how and way..
0 Likes