Switch Account

Wireless Connectivity Issues

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Wireless Connectivity Issues

Message 1 of 2
(5,192 Views)

I am currently having a problem maintaining my wireless connection and I am not sure what is causing the problem.  I believe it's either Vista or Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) causing the problem.

I have Verizon FiOS and use an Actiontec MRI424WR router.

I have a Dell desktop running XP, a Dell laptop running, Vista Ultimate, and a Toshiba laptop running Vista Ultimate.

Both Dell systems are running KIS 2009 and the Toshiba is running KIS.

I do not have any connectivity issues with the Toshiba or Dell desktop.  On the Dell laptop, I can connect locally but not to the Internet.

I started comparing the settings on my laptops.  I found that on my Toshiba, the Network discovery is set to "On" and on the Dell the Network discovery is set to "Custom".  I have tried numerous times to change the setting on the Dell to "On", but it doesn't work.

I'm not sure if this is causing the problem, but it's a difference that I found that I haven't been able to change it in order to test it.

This is what I do on my Dell to change the Network discovery settings:
- Check my Network discovery setting and it is "Custom"
- Click on Network discovery down arrow
- Select the "Turn on network discovery" option (Note: The "Turn off network discovery" option is grayed)
- Click Apply
- Click Continue on the User Account Control window
- Check my Network discovery setting and it still says "Custom"

On the Dell laptop, I have verified that my network is "Private".  I even deleted it and recreated it just to be sure.

I found an article that stated the problem could be the fact that I was not running Windows Firewall.  So I turned of KIS 2009 Firewall and turned on the Windows Firewall.  This didn't help.

I have also reset my router twice and this doesn't solve the problem either.  I also make sure to reboot my laptop after each attempt to fix the problem.

If you have any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong, please let me know.  If you need more info from me before making a suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Re: Wireless Connectivity Issues

Message 2 of 2
(5,086 Views)
It could also be the router.

One of the issues about the router, they have small routing table(s).

http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

I would check if the router is the issue, some how and way..

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.