Wireless Interference
Glica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings,

Me & my sister are gamers, we use a wireless headset each, 2.4 GHz, my sister just got her headset, once she started using it, my speeds drastically decreased by 60% download and upload, and kept varying from time-to-time, I was wondering how & what I can do to fix this problem, I heard you can "change channels" in the control panel of verizon fios, but exactly what do I change the channel to and how will this change affect my internet speeds and what else I need to know?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Interference
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

you can try logging into the Actiontec Router http://192.168.1.1 username: admin then password: try password1 then goto wireless settings & then basic security settings & then try changing the channel to 6 or 11 also might try clicking on Advanced Security Settings then Other Advanced Wireless Options & make sure Transmission Rate: is set to Auto..let us know. Brett

Glica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried both of them, they didn't work, when both of the wireless 2.4GHz headsets are on, my download speed goes from 23-25 Mb/s to 11 Mb/s.  My upload goes from 9-13 Mb/s to 3-5 Mb/s.  Is there another solution for this?

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

One word,  hardwire.....

LOL, sorry couldn't resist. But it is true, if you hardwire your computers, the problem would go away. Or if you used wired headsets, your problem will go away.  But as long as you continue to use both wireless computers and wireless headsets you are going to have the interference. There is really nothing you can do about it. You have two separate systems both using the same frequency and will cause interference.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

You may also wish to try changing the broadcast to 802.11g only. This may help to increase your speeds.

0 Likes
Glica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not happening for hardwire.  I don't think changing the wireless settings would do much of an effect, since only both of us use 802.11g wireless adapters, and nobody else uses the connection.  Actually, my brother's coming home tonight, from an university, so he'll want to use the internet, using a laptop.

0 Likes