Wireless Issues
skidark
Alright, I've had FIOS for months now with no problems at all. Just last night, my wireless started dropping out. Mostly, it seems to do this when I'm trying to load webpages or download anything. I've been looking through the forums and other places to try and figure out a solution for this. So far, I've tried to go in and change the channel on the router...but there seems to be a problem with doing that. It says to go to 192.168.1.1 and type in admin and password, but when I try to type IN the password, it starts messing itself up. I type one letter and 3 dots appear, and so on. I'm very confused.
0 Likes
Re: Wireless Issues
Justin46
Legend

Just ignore the dots, that is a rather useless security feature of the router to try to prevent someone looking over your shoulder and seeing what password you are entering. Your current password is probably "password1", since the Actiontec router requires the original password ("password") to be changed the first time you log in, and your installer almost certainly did log into the router - password1 is what a lot of installers change it to.

If you cannot figure out the password, then you wil need to reset the router back to factory defaults by pressing the reset button on the back of the router. Depending on how much configuration work the installer did, resetting can cause you a lot of work, or pretty much none.

When you get into the configuration screens, one of the first things I suggest you do is to change the login name and password to something you can easily remember.

As to the wireless issue, there are lots of posts here about that, I suggest you either use the Search funtion or just browse through the threads to see what kind of things can affect signal strength and dropouts.

Keller, TX 

Message Edited by Justin on 01-03-2009 11:31 AM
0 Likes
skidark
I posted a little early, I think. I figured out the admin password thing. Still, after calling a tech and everything, nothing has helped. I've investigated a little, and my old laptop which has XP works just fine on the wireless. My newer Vista laptop however, has just suddenly started having this problem. Try and load webpages or download anything, and the connection just dies. It still says I'm connected with  good signal, but nothing is getting through.
0 Likes
rixter

It sounds like a Public vs. Private network issue which is defined in Vista after the connection is made the first time. Try deleting the profile for the router w/in Network Connections (I think). Then attempt to connect again via wireless and a new profile will be created. Select the Private network connection vs. the Public.

Message Edited by rixter on 01-04-2009 07:44 PM
0 Likes