Re: Wireless N Router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@donutz28 wrote:

Giant ISP can't keep up with the rest of the internet!!!!

The wireless G can't keep up with Fios and its range is horrible.

Also waiting for gigabit ethernet.    

Can't believe that Fios is crippling business and power users with wireless G and 10/100 ethernet.  

Someone give Verizon purchasing and engineering a wake up call!!!

My fios isn't crippled.  The Westell 9100em router that Verizon gave me can handle my fios package 25/25 with no problem when I'm connected using the 100mb ethernet connections on it, admittedly if I went to 50/50 that might be an issue but as Verizon are now using Actiontec rev F routers that have gigabit ports and also are wireless N then I would expect to get a new router at that point.  I don't bother using the wireless on the Westell as I agree it's range sucks, in addition wireless security is questionable and the house is wired with gigabit capable wire anyway.  For internal networking between my own machines I added my own gigabit and wireless n router- wouldn't really expect Verizon to go the expense of speeding up my internal network.

If you contact verizon tech support you can get the ethernet port on your ONT activated and then connect your own gigabit router to that but it will not affect your internet access speeds until Verizon improves their speed offerings.

donutz28
Enthusiast - Level 3

But, if I use my own router with the enabled ONT etherent port,  my guide, VOD, STB callerID, MRDVR,...... won't work.  The Verizon router is required for those features and I don't think that I should have to piggyback router to get something that should be provided with the service. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@donutz28 wrote:

But, if I use my own router with the enabled ONT etherent port,  my guide, VOD, STB callerID, MRDVR,...... won't work.

That is odd, did you see http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077 ?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@donutz28 wrote:

But, if I use my own router with the enabled ONT etherent port,  my guide, VOD, STB callerID, MRDVR,...... won't work.  The Verizon router is required for those features and I don't think that I should have to piggyback router to get something that should be provided with the service. 

Just leave the VZ router connected by coax and do all your networking stuff on your router.

VZ did provide a router that does everything that the service is capable off, you're just looking for the extra that your internal machines can use but won't make any difference to the service.

0 Likes
MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

1. Purchase $40 802.11N WAP from any online reseller

2. Disable Wireless on Verizon Router

3. Connect new WAP to LAN port on Router

4. Configure new WAP as instructed (give it a different SSIP or clear cache on wireless devices)

5. Join new SSIP

0 Likes
BBHammer1

Just read this about N routers from Verizon for FiOS, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/802.11N-FiOS-Router-Verizon-Broadband,news-6512.html

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Thats a very old post. April 2010. The N routers are out now, but they (Verizon) still do not officially support the "N" portion. Since they do not support internal networking, as far as Verizon is concerned G or N its all the same. You cannot request one. Its luck of the draw if you get one. If you do get one, your on your own for the N portion. They will support 10 feet distance or line of sight, which ever is less. Beyond that you are on your own for wireless. The only reason Verizon's router has N now is because they cant get the G in bulk anymore.

Belwinkle

Verizon has Routers that support Wireless N, my friend got new service and his router supports it.

I asked them for one and they said sent me the same as I haver, my friend GOT NEW service and they gave him release version G I think it is.

Mine is F I think.  Verizon SHOULD ALLOW US to get the N routers if we want, we PAY ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Belwinkle wrote:

Verizon has Routers that support Wireless N, my friend got new service and his router supports it.

I asked them for one and they said sent me the same as I haver, my friend GOT NEW service and they gave him release version G I think it is.

Mine is F I think.  Verizon SHOULD ALLOW US to get the N routers if we want, we PAY ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay

{edited for privacy}

The rev. F is wireless-N, however, it is compliant with the 802.11n draft spec and not the 802.11n-2009 final spec.

According to current VZ policy, the rev. G is only for users ordering the new 150/50 tier.

BTW, you're replying to a four month old thread.  Much of the information in this thread is outdated or incorrect.

taltamir
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wireless G has a theoretical maximum speed of 54 mbps (mega bits per second). That is 6.75 MegaBytes per second. However, realistic speeds are closer to 1 megabyte a second, which is what I get on my verizon router using G mode. This is typical of WiFi G for all routers, and is equivelant to 8mbps (megabit per second).

This is much less then the max minimum speed that verizon offers. Even cheaper plans can easily get 25mbps, and some get 50mbps or more.

You should also note that it cripples file transfer speeds on the local area network between computers you own. With wireless G you cannot stream an HD movie, with wireless N you can.

Finally, routers tend to be under powered. They often use vastly overclocked and undercooled chips that die rather quickly. And before dying provide a litany of errors and defects.

Under utilizing your router is one of the best ways to enjoy it longer. So owning a router that far exceeds your capability is a good thing. I had to downgrade from http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530 which I bought about 2 years ago to the verizon wireless G router. I use an 8 port gigabyte switch with it. It would be great if verizon actually provided us with a modern router