Re: Wireless N Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Most Wireless G routers I've set up, including a 5 year old Linksys I have in my home max out around 22Mbps of throughput up and down if they are broadcasting on a clear channel, and are using WPA2-AES encryption on them. This includes the Verizon FiOS routers when they are set up properly. Only time I see a Wireless access point max at 8Mbps is when it is operating on a very noisy channel, the signal is very poor or the router is starting to die. Of course, nothing beats Ethernet in speed for networking.
Taz1956

Hi all,

I want to ask if anyone uses the N router as described in this blog, with another one attached (Linksys) as a way point because the Verizon is needed for the TV info.

I would like the better routers from Actiontec that has a usb port so I can host another printer from the router. I get full 54mb on my g router. N should be faster.

looking for input from others............

thanks................

Taz1956

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Taz1956 wrote:

I want to ask if anyone uses the N router as described in this blog, with another one attached (Linksys) as a way point because the Verizon is needed for the TV info.

Which "N router" are you referring to.  Verizon's?  Or a third party N router? 

VZ currently has 2 N routers.  The rev. F which is draft 802.11n only (single radio, no mimo, no 5Ghz, no40Mhz channels) and the rev. G which is 802.11n-2009 compliant, but is only avaiable to customers with 150/35 service. 

Many users have used third-part N routers with VZ routers.  There are a number of ways to do so without losing guide data, VOD, etc.  If the VZ router is not primary then you will lose on-screen caller-id and remote DVR.  See the following FAQ for considerations for various configurations: What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations 

@Taz1956 wrote:
I would like the better routers from Actiontec that has a usb port so I can host another printer from the router.

The USB port on the Actiontec is not active, except to charge a cell phone.

@Taz1956 wrote:

I get full 54mb on my g router.

You may be getting a link rate of 54Mbps, but your throughput is likely to be 20-25Mbps.

Link rate and actual throughput are not the same thing.

abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3

With the 150 x 30 Mbps plan , customer gets a actiontec rev G router which is a wireless N router. It has 2 antennas.

0 Likes
jessica45qt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I talked to a verizon tech support person and had are 25/25 upgraded to 35/35 for free as we have the highest package that verizon has but not the highest speed availible on the internet side and i was told to get wireless N you would need to have 100MBPS package or faster to get the new wireless N router which is what customers would need if you have tv thru them unless you disable the wireless on the fios router and hook your own router to one of the empty ports and that way you could get wireless n that way and that way also you can get a dual band one which uses 2.5 freq and 5.8 freq so you worry less about interference from near by signals near you.

Also the new verizon N routers have gigabyte which the others are using 10/100 ports which can handle a big load.

This is verizons new Wireless N router >>>  http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=213

There is a rumor the new wireless n can handle 8 ports and thats more then the old ones which are 4 ports

And i checked the pic and it shows only 4 ports and this one has a usb plug for a usb hard drive or printer so you can share it.

Theres a modem you can get outsode that supports Mocha Fios type of connection that switch it back to ethernet wires and then you hook your wirless router almost like a cable modem setup.

I don't remember the site off the top of my head but just google around and im sure you can find it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Gigabit/N router Verizon offers doesn't have 8 ports. Just 4 with an additional WAN port for Ethernet connectivity from the ONT. You can add additional ports to it just by buying a Gigabit switch and connecting it to a free port. Same goes with the older 100Mbps units, either hang a 100Mbps switch or a Gigabit switch off of it, based on what you want and it's good to go. Many switches have auto-sensing uplink these days, so they're mostly plug and play.

SnapVA
Enthusiast - Level 1

You can buy the latest Router (GigE and Wireless N) at: https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

For those interested, it is the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I, and I just got one with a new install I (don't have the 150/35 service that used to be required).

Good luck!

kaycat

If you live in a small relatively new house a B or G router is OK...

If you live on the EAST COAST where often houses are older and made of stone or brick and have physical fire walls, then you NEED an N router....

You will also have problems with cordless phones... Ones you purchase with 4 extensions... It's LOGICAL that if you need 4 extensions you may have some GROUND to cover in your house.

I live in a 3 story LARGE house and all of this technology is a PROBLEM when it comes to range within your home... FRUSTRATING!!!

0 Likes
kaycat

AMEN!!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately Wireless N in itself won't fix a signal issue and will if set up wrong, make a bad signal worse. You'll find improvements from better radios, placement and antenna designs. My old Wireless G router for example had great antennas and a great radio, and was capable of pushing 60Mbps with some priorietary methods (108Mbps double wide link). It was capable of covering a quarter of my neighborhood due to sensitivity and it's location.

If you're seeing signal issues, consider placement. If you have three stories to cover and your router is sitting in the basement, there's half of the issue. Signals do not move up, diagonally and down as well as from side to side with Omnidirectional antennas. If you have to have a router in the basement, consider setting up an access point on the top-most floor or consider a high gain directional antenna for your access point.

0 Likes