Wireless-N and FIOS
ThePCZ

Router: Actiontec MI424-WR

Hello Tech People,

Our home has recently upgraded to all Wireless-N adapters. Our current router MI424-WR, does not support wireless-N.

What is Verizon's solution on providing sevice to Wireless-N users?

Understanding that Wireless-N supports all previous version types of services such as a/b/g - our problem is however saying that it doesnt support - "Your wireless Adapter is in conflict with your router". We have new Dell laptops with wireless-n capabilities built inside. Our desktops use an Internal PCI cards also with Wireless N capabilities.

We arent without internet or the file sharing service. What happens is that when we are in use of the internet we all (at different times) will loose our connection to the network.

Older computers with wireless-g enabled work fine all the time.

If verizon doesnt have a product solution or upgrade to the current router, then what can we do?

Are thier step by step instructions on installing a normal cable modem with a wireless-n router?

Thank for you time,

Erik

0 Likes
Re: Wireless-N and FIOS
ThePCZ
Anything, Anyone?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Verizon does not have anything available right now to support wireless N. If your equipment is downward convertible I would change it over to wireless G instead.
0 Likes
ThePCZ

Thank you for your reply.

Would it be possible to set up FIOS with a cable modem and Wireless router?

If so, what type of cable modem and where could I purchase one?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Fios does not use cable modems. Verizon installs the ActionTec router. They use Ethernet or MoCA via the coax only. If you don't have FiOS TV you can use a wireless N router in the ActionTecs place as long as Verizon connected to the ActionTec with Ethernet cable. The only other solution would be to brigde a wireless N router off of the ActionTec and disable the ActionTec wireless and use the wireless N wireless instead.
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 08-27-2008 02:29 AM
0 Likes
ThePCZ

Correct...

My current setup is with the Actiontech router using the COAX interface.

Would a COAX enabled cable modem found at a nearby or online distributer work along side a linksys Wireless N router? (following proper instructions ofcourse)

0 Likes
dalhectar
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are using COAX, the actiontec has to be in the mix somewhere.

To use Wireless N you basically have 2 options.

1) Make your actiontec router a bridge and use your wireless n router as a router.

You can find some help with that in the link below, but personally I was never able to get it to work for myself. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20006536-Make-your-actiontec-a-bridge-with-VOD-working-with-REV-D

2) Setup your Wireless N router as an access point (disable routing capability) and leave the routing to the Actiontec (disable wireless on the actiontec).

Don't know what tye of N Router you have, but there's probably a way to not use it as a router.  For mine there was a way in the web interface to turn off the DLink's routing capabilities (DHCP, Firewall, NAT, QOS, etc.)but leave the wireless ability on, and then just plug it into your network.  To reduce conflicts I also disabled wireless on the actiontec.

0 Likes
fishalot

So I'm considering making going to wireless N protocol.  I have the 20Mb service and can't get anywhere close to that with the G router Verizon provided.  My old Linksys was much faster and more reliable, but that's a different story.

What kinds of download speeds are you seeing with wireless N as the AP?  Any reports from modern dual-core notebook computer users?

thanks

- jl -

0 Likes