Wireless N confusion on routers

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Wireless N confusion on routers

Message 1 of 10
(2,822 Views)

Hi,

I am hoping someone can clarify this for me.  I know that the new Actiontec MI424WR (Red) router is Wireless N and GigE Capable.  It also is a $79 upgrade fee for current customers.  I understand that part.

The part I am confused on is the older (grey) actiontec MI424WR routers.  I have a Rev. E version which is just 802.11 a/b/g

But a friend of mine swears he as a grey router that is wireless N. (he is of course a Verizon customer.  25/25 in NJ)

I cannot get seem to get a consistent answer from tech support if there is a version of the older (grey) router that supports Wireless N.  I know that actiontec has one, but as Verizon sent any of those version out there?

Is the RED GigE the ONLY actiontec router with wireless N that Verizon issues, or was there a version of the older GREY units other than Rev. E that support wireless N.

Thanks

Ron

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Wireless N confusion on routers

Message 2 of 10
(2,808 Views)

the rev g router which was originally for business, is grey and also 1gb and wireless n.   maybe he has that

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 10
(2,751 Views)
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 10
(2,701 Views)

Not sure what that last post is all about, but my friend does not have a business account but residential

Any Verizon tech want to wade in here?  Is there a version of the Grey Actiontec router that supports 802.11 N?

Thanks

Ron

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 10
(2,694 Views)

The last post was the pictures of the units,  they didn't appear, but I'll see if I can fix them.

The Rev G is the exact model you are talking about. 

Couldn't edit my post, but here is the link to the pictures

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 6 of 10
(2,674 Views)

I believe DSLReports stopped allowing hotlinks to their images after the last DDoS attacks against their site took place two years ago.

Anyways, the Rev. F and the Rev G. do have Wireless N radios. The Rev. G is the first 802.11n compliant unit ActionTec produced for Verizon of the MI424WR series. The Rev. F is Wireless N however it's radio maxes at 65Mbps and is actually a Draft N radio. It's N, but it's also very basic in today's standards, supporting 1x1 and no MIMO. The Rev. G is a decent step up from the Rev. F.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 7 of 10
(2,652 Views)

the rev f did not have the 1g ports for the LAN, which is what pointed to the actiontec rev G 

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 8 of 10
(2,479 Views)

I was told last week by an installer the only router that is N for residentents is black with the red band. I originally had that on my original installation but the thing was bad and when they sent me another I ended up with some beat up old router which he said they haven't even used what I got for over a year. They only use the N's now. Said I should call customer service and tell them to send an N to me but something tells me it won't happen.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 9 of 10
(2,383 Views)
9/7/2012
Actually i talked to Verizon Tech and they sent me a new router since the old version E they sent couldn't even get the signal through my house and even though they can't promise what you get (really Verizon get it together) I ended up with the N router Rev. G(red band). Signal now seems to run through the house.
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 10 of 10
(2,351 Views)

Red band is Rev I not Rev G.  Currently the latest model Verizon has.  Congrats.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.