Wireless N confusion on routers
rstambo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I am hoping someone can clarify this for me.  I know that the new Actiontec MI424WR (Red) router is Wireless N and GigE Capable.  It also is a $79 upgrade fee for current customers.  I understand that part.

The part I am confused on is the older (grey) actiontec MI424WR routers.  I have a Rev. E version which is just 802.11 a/b/g

But a friend of mine swears he as a grey router that is wireless N. (he is of course a Verizon customer.  25/25 in NJ)

I cannot get seem to get a consistent answer from tech support if there is a version of the older (grey) router that supports Wireless N.  I know that actiontec has one, but as Verizon sent any of those version out there?

Is the RED GigE the ONLY actiontec router with wireless N that Verizon issues, or was there a version of the older GREY units other than Rev. E that support wireless N.

Thanks

Ron

0 Likes
Re: Wireless N confusion on routers
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the rev g router which was originally for business, is grey and also 1gb and wireless n.   maybe he has that

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
0 Likes
rstambo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure what that last post is all about, but my friend does not have a business account but residential

Any Verizon tech want to wade in here?  Is there a version of the Grey Actiontec router that supports 802.11 N?

Thanks

Ron

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The last post was the pictures of the units,  they didn't appear, but I'll see if I can fix them.

The Rev G is the exact model you are talking about. 

Couldn't edit my post, but here is the link to the pictures

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe DSLReports stopped allowing hotlinks to their images after the last DDoS attacks against their site took place two years ago.

Anyways, the Rev. F and the Rev G. do have Wireless N radios. The Rev. G is the first 802.11n compliant unit ActionTec produced for Verizon of the MI424WR series. The Rev. F is Wireless N however it's radio maxes at 65Mbps and is actually a Draft N radio. It's N, but it's also very basic in today's standards, supporting 1x1 and no MIMO. The Rev. G is a decent step up from the Rev. F.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the rev f did not have the 1g ports for the LAN, which is what pointed to the actiontec rev G 

0 Likes
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told last week by an installer the only router that is N for residentents is black with the red band. I originally had that on my original installation but the thing was bad and when they sent me another I ended up with some beat up old router which he said they haven't even used what I got for over a year. They only use the N's now. Said I should call customer service and tell them to send an N to me but something tells me it won't happen.

0 Likes
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3
9/7/2012
Actually i talked to Verizon Tech and they sent me a new router since the old version E they sent couldn't even get the signal through my house and even though they can't promise what you get (really Verizon get it together) I ended up with the N router Rev. G(red band). Signal now seems to run through the house.
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Red band is Rev I not Rev G.  Currently the latest model Verizon has.  Congrats.

0 Likes