Wireless N too slow?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please complain again. Thanks!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Exclusive-FiOS-Speed-Hikes-Coming-Soon-119596

Figured I'd share the awesome news with all of you who prowl this forum!

Re: Wireless N too slow?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that's hot

0 Likes
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

Please complain again. Thanks!

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Exclusive-FiOS-Speed-Hikes-Coming-Soon-119596

Figured I'd share the awesome news with all of you who prowl this forum!

Ummmm....I'm confused.  What's that link got to do with Wireless N too slow, and what are we supposed to complain about?

As for the speed hikes, that got me curious so I looked and I see a new plan here on Long Island, 50/20.   I don't remember seeing that one before.  25/25 and 35/35 are still available.

If anyone actually sees the rumored 75/35 speeds, I be interested in hearing about it.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, I was playing around a little bit in my post. A lot of people who have speeds past 20Mbps/5Mbps tend to complain about the Wireless G routers provided from Verizon being too slow on the Wireless end to get the speed they pay for. Now with the newer Wireless N routers, I know N is capable of reaching some pretty decent speeds but you add in a wall or two and the speed can easily drop below what your package is meant to run at (So, 75Mbps? A single 20Mhz channel on a "Up To 300Mbps" Radio maxes at 144Mbps, giving you an effective 95Mbps of throughput if you've got a clean signal and that is total throughput (in both directions, splits in half ideally), maybe slightly more. One wall from the router and you might be looking at a good 50-60Mbps total for either direction to make use of in a simple view. Doesn't quite always work like that, but it tends to be a norm. On any standards-compliant router, 300Mbps should run on a single channel unless there is a lack of Wireless noise, but even then it doesn't help speed or range in a good handful of cases.

So, hence the complaints that I might see from people saying the supplied Wireless N ActionTec router is not capable of getting the speeds they pay for if Verizon boosts the packages. Only thing I can say is unless they invest in better gear for Wireless, Hardwired in Full Duplex is the cheapest and most solid way to get what you pay for 24/7, and if an investment is being made in a Fiber-Optic service, a hardwired connection or a ton of APs hardwired are going to be expected to max the connection on a consistent basis.

0 Likes
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok.  At least I'm no longer thinking I was just having a senior moment.

I don't disagree with any of your points but man, I sure woudl've never guessed what they were from the original post here.  Smiley Surprised

Anyway, as stated earlier, I will be intersted when and if 75/35 comes along, full well understanding that to really benefit from it a hardwired connection is necessary.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oldguy69 wrote:

Ok.  At least I'm no longer thinking I was just having a senior moment.

I don't disagree with any of your points but man, I sure woudl've never guessed what they were from the original post here.  Smiley Surprised

Anyway, as stated earlier, I will be intersted when and if 75/35 comes along, full well understanding that to really benefit from it a hardwired connection is necessary.

Awesome! I'm still waiting for FiOS to arrive here. Going from a 1Mbps/384kbps DSL connection to something such as 75Mbps/35Mbps (maybe the upload will be boosted silently?) or 300Mbps/75Mbps (same here?) would be a huge boost. I'm too used to the connectivity at work where I'm at now. Everything just comes in right away, no hesitation and it doesn't slow down. Gigabit is no problem as well as it's a datacenter. Of course, by no means does the Wireless hit those speeds here even though they are simultaneous dual band units.

0 Likes