Wireless Network Switch from Secured to Unsecured Automatically
kgwoz769

Hi everyone.  When connected to my wireless network via my FIOS router (model MI424WRI) I notice that my laptop will randomly switch from a secured version of my wireless network to an unsecured version of the same network.  There is only one version of the wireless network listed (secured) when I view all available networks. This random switch usually results in my work VPN kicking off and then I need to restart the laptop to get the VPN working again. Why does this random switch from secured to unsecured (and reverse) happen, and how do I stop this from happening? Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Network Switch from Secured to Unsecured Automatically
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What makes you think you are switching from "secured" to unsecured"

Jim

0 Likes
kgwoz769

Let's call my wireless network "ABCDE".  At random times after connecting to ABCDE (secured), I receive a popup balloon stating that I am connected to ABCDE (unsecured) with the strength and Mbps, or a similar message stating I am connected to ABCDE (secured) with the strength and Mbps.  When this happens, I usually lose connection to my VPN, Outlook, etc.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If the WLAN is configured to be "secure" then there is no way you are switching to unsecured unless by change there is another router with the same SSID.    Normally you should maintain connection to your WLAN Router unless there is something causing interference to your wireless LAN such as a microwave or another WLAN Router close by using the same channel.  

Do you know if you are using WEP or WPA for security?  What I suggest you do is, if possible change your wireless LAN Settings in your Verizon Router to using WPA2.  Then you can choose to use your own Pre-Shared-Key which is much easier to remember.

The other thing to check in the VZ router is the channel being used.  Normally automatic should be ok but you may want to force it to use either channel 1,6 or 11.

Let me know your thoughts on the above.

Jim

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Does this ever happen when you are not on your work VPN?

0 Likes
kgwoz769

The Verizon router is in the basement and that's the wireless network ("ABCDE") I mentioned with the issue.  I also have a non-Verizon wireless router upstairs that has it's own wireless network (let's call it "FGHIJ") available to connect to.  II have set this other network to "manual" connect so it doesn't try to automatically switch between the 2 networks. This other router is connected via a wire to the jack in the wall.  

The Verizon router is already using WPA2 according to what I can see. I will look into the channel being used on the Verizon router.  

Thank you!

Karen  

0 Likes
kgwoz769

I have not noticed it happening when not on my work VPN, but I don't usually use that laptop without being connected via VPN.  I can try using it for a time without VPN to see if it still happens.

0 Likes