Wireless Not Working
bguide
Enthusiast - Level 2

Been fighting a wireless problem for a week now.  Have an Actiontec GT704WG Wireless router/modem with an XP wired desktop that is working fine.  Also have a Windows 7 laptop that can't get connected wirelessly.  Also, have a Tivo Series 2 DVR that has been working for at least 8 years on the network.  Now, though, I am getting a message (N02 No DHCP Server) when I try to connect.  Tivo has not been able to connect since the beginning of June.  In addition, I have (2) Westel 7500 wireless routers provided by Verizon support for this problem to no avail.  Looking through my box of old hardware I found a Westel 2200 and hooked it up to a Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router.  No wireless on any combinations. BTW, 2 service calls by Verizon was no help.   I am on the barrier island of the Jersey Shore and I only have 1 alternative provider (Optimum) but I would like to stay with Verizon.

Help, please!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless Not Working
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you have to put in your browser (from any machine connected to the net/router) http://192.168.1.1

once in, you have to login with admin for the username, and typically password OR password1 (write it out in the password field)

then you have to navigate to the wireless section, and in there you will find wireless channels.   1-11.

Those are changeable, and one will work better than the other,  by default most routers are 6 if I remember correct.

so change it to 11, and hit apply.  try to connect wirelessly,  if that doesn't work try 1, and try to connect. and then put it back on 6 and try to connect.

one of those should connect you.     

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

make sure you have tried all three wireless channels.  

if none of them work, There are also good troubleshooting tiops here:
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ

0 Likes
bguide
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not a FIOS connection.

0 Likes
bguide
Enthusiast - Level 2

Which 3 channels are you referring to?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you have to put in your browser (from any machine connected to the net/router) http://192.168.1.1

once in, you have to login with admin for the username, and typically password OR password1 (write it out in the password field)

then you have to navigate to the wireless section, and in there you will find wireless channels.   1-11.

Those are changeable, and one will work better than the other,  by default most routers are 6 if I remember correct.

so change it to 11, and hit apply.  try to connect wirelessly,  if that doesn't work try 1, and try to connect. and then put it back on 6 and try to connect.

one of those should connect you.     

bguide
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unbelivable!  I went to try the Tivo and it seemed to be "stuck".  All I could do was unplug it and upon a reboot it's all back.  Working on standard channel 11 where it was set.  Looks like the Tivo was messing up the wireless system because the laptop is now working.  Thanks for your help, great experience as compared to Verizon support.  Thanks again.