Wireless Printer goes offline
gartm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed a new Dell E515dw wireless printer last week without issue. I was away for the weekend. When I returned on Monday morning I found that this printer was in OFFLINE status.  I managed to get the printer back online. I called Dell support, they told me that there is network/router setting to prevent this from happening. I have been on Chat with FIOS support on this matter and they either dont understand or cannot help me. Does anyone have any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Printer goes offline
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please provide more information so someone can help you.
DO NOT INCLUDE PRIVATE ACCOUNT INFORMATION

Equipment Model No. ?
Router

Software ?
PC Operating Syst.

Also this might help

Dell support offers a variety of resources and tools to help you identify and resolve issues, as well as tutorials, how-to videos and more.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dell-e515dw-printer/research

0 Likes
gartm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Using Actiontec MI424WR router, printer is Dell E515DW

I have a few PCs on this network, some with Win10 and some with WIn7

A I stated in the OP, Dell support was of no help. 

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
  1. Testing the Network Connection

Use the Articles Below to test the Network Connection between your system/network and Laser Printer:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN287070#Five

Testing the Network Connection of Your Printer Using the PING Command

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN284378/en

Configure Dell Wi-Fi Laser Printers

Initial Setup

This article covers Dell laser printers only. For help with Dell inkjet printers Search the knowledge base using your printer model and 'wireless' as search terms, for example V715w wireless.

Most recent laser printers are compatible with the Dell Printer Easy Installer software. In many cases the Easy Installer can detect and install your wireless printer automatically with a single click.

Note: Some Windows 10 systems and 802.11 ac routers may take more than 1 click to complete the WiFi installation, but the Dell Printer Easy Installer, on selected Dell laser printers, will guide you to an alternative wireless setup method to complete the installation.

Compatible models include:

• Dell 1350cnw Color Printer
  • Dell 1355cnw Color Printer
  • Dell B1165nfw Mono MFP
  • Dell B1265dfw Mono MFP
  • Dell B2375dfw Mono MFP
  • Dell C1660w Color Printer
  • Dell C1760nw Color Printer
  • Dell C1765nfw Color MFP
  • Dell E310dw Mono Printer
  • Dell E514dw Mono MFP
  • Dell E515dw Mono MFP
  • Dell E525w Color MFP
  • Dell H625cdw Color MFP
  • Dell H815dw Mono MFP
  • Dell H825cdw Color MFP

The Easy Installer software is on the CD supplied with your printer. Insert the CD and double click 'setup.exe' to begin installation.

The software can also be downloaded from dell.com/support. Enter your service tag or select your printer model then select 'Drivers and Downloads'. The Easy Installer is listed in the 'Application' section.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

By "offline", what do you mean?   Is the printer showing this on a status panel, or is it your PC telling you this when you go to print something?

If it's the PC, does the problem occur on every computer?  In particular -- Win10 vs Win7?

I have a printer which regularly goes "offline" according to Windows 10, yet is perfectly fine from my other devices in the home (Mac, iPad's, other Windows 10 machines).  

A couple of things to try ...

1. Try assigning a static IP (or DHCP reservation to the printer) so that it always get's the same IP address on your network.  It's possible something in the way the driver discovers the printer is not updating (a cached entry, a blocked broadcast by the PC firewall, etc.).   If you get the printer to have the same IP all the time and get the PC working with it, it may well continue to function properly from that point forward.

2. Have you deinstalled all versions of the "printer" (Windows 10 likes to automatically find printers on your network) and then installed the printer drivers from the CD to insure you're getting the right driver?  This has burnt me on a number of occasions with the autodiscovered printer going stale somehow and reporting itself offline.

3. In the printer configuration on the PC for this printer, find the "ports" section and after you've given the printer a static address or reservation, change the configuration to use a new "port" and define it to be the IP address you assigned to the printer (some drivers are using a name broadcast to find the printer which gets blocked by firewalls on the PC).   This will disable that autodiscover feature and point directly at the printer.

4. Try disabling the "firewall" on your PC anti-virus product and see if the printer comes "online".  If so, see if you find a way to enable logging for the firewall and see what is getting blocked.

Hope that gives you some things to try.

0 Likes
gartm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, for the reply. It was a WIN10 PC that showed the printer as offline as well my Iphone which could not find the printer for Airprint. I did not bother check my other PCs.

0 Likes
gartm
Enthusiast - Level 2

using MI424WR router, in admin panel I changed the lease to STATIC, yet it still shows it will expire in x number of minutes. Is there a way to ensure that this will not expire?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

A "permanent" lease will still expire -- it's just that when it does, the router will assign it the same address again.   You can test this theory by powering off the printer and the router, rebooting the the router, and then powering up the printer and observing if it did indeed receive the same IP address.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IF you really set it as static it will be reserved for that device and renewed whenever that device checks after expiration.

Only way to get one that doesn't expire envolves setting a range of controlled ip addresses distribution less than the complet range (2-254) and then manually assigning the address to one outside the range.  e.g setting range to 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.239 and then setting the ip address in the printer to 192.168.1.240

0 Likes