Re: Wireless Signal Dropping Intermittently
PaperbackWriter

It's happening with too many devices to blame the wireless card, I believe. It happens with my Dell laptop, which has a built-in wireless G card. It happens with the same laptop when I plug in a Netgear USB wireless N adapter. (I have a Netgear wireless N router.) It also happens with the new Dell laptop I just bought for my wife, which has a built-in wireless N card. And it happens with my iPhone.

I supposed it's possible that they are all bad, but I find that hard to believe.

0 Likes
PaperbackWriter

Based on what I'm seeing from this forum, your girlfriend could make some serious money if she'd go back to the Verizon support folks, find out how they fixed her problem and share it with the rest of us. I'd pay for it!

0 Likes
lagay

I'm with you on that one!! The bad thing is she works for Verizon Business and can't seem to find anyone on the FIOS side within the company to help! So even being an employee gets you no where.

The only she remembers the technician talking with the support people is the configuration on their side (within FIOS) was set differently than the configuration on the router side. But we have no idea what part of the configuration they were talking about. When I had the Tech Support person on the phone I asked him that question about the FIOS configuration; did it have to be set a certain way and he said no there was nothing on his side. I'm not sure I believe that or not. He saw the issue first hand as I allowed him to take control of my laptop and saw the connection cycle through; but they have no idea why???

I'm completely baffled why some people are able to change to a different wireless router and this issue goes away; but for some of us it doesn't go away.

0 Likes
billski

At the risk of being naieve, are you all certain it's a wireless issue, or are two different issues being intertwined?

Are you certain it's a wireless-exclusive issue?

I live in Lexington, Mass, I don't know where the rest of you are.  

I have FIOS internet and phone service.

I have a rather complex home network ,both hardwired and wireless.  I use my own routers. 

Last Friday night 12/5 I had no internet connection on any port, wired or wireless, for about two hours.

Again this morning 12/8 lost the internet again for two hours.  

In both cases, the phone line continued to work.

Verizon doesn't give me any tools to ascertain if I can get to the internet, but being soemwhat tekkie, I figured out I couldn't get from my router to the internet.  Friday night, in desparation, I swapped out the router, thinking that was the problm went away.  Well, it went out again this morning, Itouched nothing, and it came back two hours later.

I have to wonder if Verizon is having network outages, and if perhaps with all our futzing around, we are drawing incompleteconclusions.

Does Verzion have a system status board somewhere?

0 Likes
lagay

I am absolutely positive it is the wireless. I can take my laptop that is sitting right next to the router (2 feet away) having the wireless connection cycling issues, plug in an ethernet wired cable to the router, turn off the wireless on the laptop and off I go cruising around the internet.

Good points about there possibly being issues with FIOS in general.

I'm just hoping and praying that someone who is more techie than I am reads this tonight and has already figured out how to resolve this issue. Or an FIOS employee may wonder in on the forums and knows the solution!

Otherwise, I'm going to have to get a technician out to the house and take time off from work to be there. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm going back to Comcast and they forget whatever contract I have with them.

0 Likes
PaperbackWriter

I, too, am absolutely positive that this is a 'wireless only' issue. I work from a home office. I dock my work laptop in order to use a wired connection to the Internet. While the signal continues to drop intermittently to all of my wireless devices, the wired connection is rock solid. It rarely if ever fails.

There has got to be some configuration issue specific to wireless that is causing this. And if I don't find an answer soon, I may have to revert to Time Warner or some other service.

My wife has yelled up the stairs to me twice in just the last 15 minutes to tell me that she's lost the wireless connection trying to check e-mail from her laptop. She's about to tear me a new one if I don't get something figured out soon.

0 Likes
zdenneh
I've had the same issue for a while now. I had the older version of the Actiontec mi424 router; they sent me a new one but didn't change a thing. I've tried every channel there is and every single possible adjustment I can come up with and nothing works. All devices connected wirelessly lose their connection; this can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 20 minutes. This is particulaly frustrating when gaming online. Connecting with a wire is never an issue but I can't run it into the living room to reach my ps3. Sometimes I can go a couple of days without a drop in connection, but I would say on average there are at least 2-3 drops per day. I tried calling Verizon tech support but you know how that goes... no help. If I don't find a solution soon we'll be switching to another provider. Surely there is something causing this?
0 Likes
parkwood

I've been experiencing the same problem since about mid-October. At that time, Verizon sent me a replacement MI-424 router because the old one stopped working completely. I never had the drop problem with the old router. Since then, it seems like my VPN connection to my workplace will drop several times a day. I've tried different wireless channels with no success. Adding my old Linksys router to the Verizon router seems to maintain a more stable connection, but I'm not always able to connect.

Here are a few things I've noticed after many hours trying to investigate on my own:

1) From my Win XP laptop, it seems that the VPN connection drops because there is a loss of wireless access, even for less than a minute. If I run an "ipconfig /all" command, it looks like the wireless adapter is trying to obtain a new lease about every 4 minutes. (I even get that annoying little pop-up balloon telling me about my wireless connection.) When it can't renew the lease, it drops.

2) I have a desktop machine, running WIN 2000, connected wirelessly with a Linksys USB wireless adapter. If I run an "ipconfig /all" from this machine, it does not appear that it's trying to renew the lease at all. I haven't noticed any wireless signals dropping from this machine, though I could be missing them.

3) If I log into the MI-424 router and go to System Monitoring/Advanced Status/System Logging, it shows an event that says:

Event-Type: LAN DHCP

Details: DHCP LAN Connection IP: 192.168.1.3, ...repeated x times, last time on....

My limited understanding tells me that its trying to renew the DHCP lease for my laptop about every 4 minutes. I see that message only once for my desktop machine, when it initially logs into the wireless network.

I am as frustrated as everyone else. Any insight is appreciated.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

parkwood,

I am far from being an expert on this, but have you checked the router to see what the lease time is? Mine is set for 1440, and in my log I don't see anything like you describe for either of my wireless PCs. I don't see why your two different wireless-attached PCs would experience different lease activity, I though the time was controlled by the router - am I wrong?

Not that it helps any, but I have the Actiontec Rev. D, and I never have seen any drops like you are experiencing. Strange..... 

Keller, TX

0 Likes
parkwood

Thanks Justin. My router is MI424-WR Revision C. I also thought the lease was controlled by the router. Where can I check the lease time on the router?

Interestingly, when I have my D-Link router connected to the Actiontec and connect wirelessly to the D-Link, I also see the lease renewing every 4 minutes. However, I never lose wireless or VPN connection with the D-Link.

0 Likes