Wireless and hard wire
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm moving into a home where they have Fios TV and internet.  The internet line (looks like coax) goes into a wireless router.  Into my room are two coax cables.  One is the Fios cable going into a Fios cable box.  I suspect the other one used to be functional when they had satellite TV.  Is there a way to use that coax to hard wire my fios internet?  I suspect that the wireless will not be fast enough to play World of Warcraft effectively.    

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless and hard wire
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK ... it works like this:

The fiber runs from the street (or some little box in your neighborhood near where all the other cable and telephone connections come from) to a square panel on the outside of the house.   This panel is called the ONT (optical network terminal).   It is probably very near where the old DMARK box for telephone was located.   It'll have a little battery backup power pack mounted inside the house somewhere nearby as it needs power to run.

Out of this box will run a telephone cable (if you have phone service over FiOS) and either an Ethernet cable or a piece of Coax.   It is usually a piece of Coax.   Since you've already said Coax with respect to the router and that you have FiOS TV -- we know it's Coax.

Ignore the phone cable as it's not relevent to your particular needs.

This Coax carries the FiOS TV signals (if you have it) AND the Internet (cable is multi-frequency, so many things can be on it at the same time -- the Internet is usually on 1000Mhz if you're curious, but that's not overly important to know).   It also carries the local "private" network side of your computer network (between the set top boxes and any computers you have to the router -- this is usually on 1150Mhz if you're curious).

Now, this cable will be attached to the cable which runs thru the house usually thru a series of splitters.   Usually all the cables are daisy-chained off each in the house in "tree" kind of arrangement thru splitters with the root of the tree at the location with the cable enters the house.   However -- if the former tenant also had Satellite, it's possible they had two "trees" of independent cables runs in the house -- you'll need to investigate to see what you have.

Since you have a FiOS TV box in your room, the cable which is inserted into that box is on the same "tree" as the cable which is feeding your FiOS router.  You could essentially, unhook the cable from the TV box and hook it into the router and the Internet will work.   Go ahead -- try it -- I'l wait ........

OK.  So now, try hooking the unused cable in your room into the FiOS TV box.   Does it work, do you get TV?   If so, you're all done.   Surf happy.

If not, you have  two choices ... trace the cable now attached to the FiOS TV box and find where it meets up with the cable from the ONT and via a splitter get it onto the same cable plant.   Optionally, get a high quality splitter (rated for digital signals -- typically it'll say 5Mhz-1000Mhz)  and two short lengths of cable (not the cheap stuff, but digital signal rated cables) and attach it to the end of the cable where your router is now attached.   Attach one side of the splitter to the router and the other to the TV box.   Done.

Make sense?

Essentially, the "Fiber" part of FiOS is the delivery method between the Verizon central office and the ONT outside your house.  Distribution of TV/Internet inside your house is on Coax.

View solution in original post

ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

So what you're saying is the FiOS router is not in the same room as the wirelss router?

Is there anything directly connected to the FiOS router other than the Coax now?  If not (and provided the second cable in your room is part of the same cable plant as the cable that's feeding the FiOS box - i.e. it's just a splitter), you can just move the router to your room.

If you can't move the router for some reason (hooked to another PC maybe?), but the cable in your room is on the same cable plant (or you could use a splitter on the cable where the FiOS TV box is located) you can get a MoCA to Ethernet brdige ... here's the one I use:

ActionTec HME2200-02

One side plugs into the coax, the other side is an Ethernet port.   The adapter will automatically pair up with the FiOS router they installed.  You can find one online at your favorite South American River inspired e-tailer -- they run about $80.   You only need one (the router itself is the other "half" of the pair).

- ravioli (aka lasagna -- still having an "out of userid" experience thanks to a Verizon "upgrade")

bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

>> So what you're saying is the FiOS router is not in the same room as the wirelss router?

I'm not sure about this.  All I saw was the wireless router with only a single coax going into it.  I"m assuming that there is something between this and the fiber optic entrance that splits out the TV and converts the fios signal to coax????? 

>>Is there anything directly connected to the FiOS router other than the Coax now?  If not (and provided the second cable in your >> room is part of the same cable plant as the cable that's feeding the FiOS box - i.e. it's just a splitter), you can just move the

>> router to your room.

Is the coax coming into the wireless router fiber optic?  Why I'm asking is because I doubt the homeowner had her house rewired and is probably using the coax that was already in the house (from cable or satellite).

>> If you can't move the router for some reason (hooked to another PC maybe?), but the cable in your room is on the same cable >> plant (or you could use a splitter on the cable where the FiOS TV box is located) you can get a MoCA to Ethernet brdige ...

>> here's the one I use:

The ideal solution would be to move the router close enough to my computer that I could just run ethernet from the wireless router to my computer.   But of course, that's the problem... getting the signal there in the first place.

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK ... it works like this:

The fiber runs from the street (or some little box in your neighborhood near where all the other cable and telephone connections come from) to a square panel on the outside of the house.   This panel is called the ONT (optical network terminal).   It is probably very near where the old DMARK box for telephone was located.   It'll have a little battery backup power pack mounted inside the house somewhere nearby as it needs power to run.

Out of this box will run a telephone cable (if you have phone service over FiOS) and either an Ethernet cable or a piece of Coax.   It is usually a piece of Coax.   Since you've already said Coax with respect to the router and that you have FiOS TV -- we know it's Coax.

Ignore the phone cable as it's not relevent to your particular needs.

This Coax carries the FiOS TV signals (if you have it) AND the Internet (cable is multi-frequency, so many things can be on it at the same time -- the Internet is usually on 1000Mhz if you're curious, but that's not overly important to know).   It also carries the local "private" network side of your computer network (between the set top boxes and any computers you have to the router -- this is usually on 1150Mhz if you're curious).

Now, this cable will be attached to the cable which runs thru the house usually thru a series of splitters.   Usually all the cables are daisy-chained off each in the house in "tree" kind of arrangement thru splitters with the root of the tree at the location with the cable enters the house.   However -- if the former tenant also had Satellite, it's possible they had two "trees" of independent cables runs in the house -- you'll need to investigate to see what you have.

Since you have a FiOS TV box in your room, the cable which is inserted into that box is on the same "tree" as the cable which is feeding your FiOS router.  You could essentially, unhook the cable from the TV box and hook it into the router and the Internet will work.   Go ahead -- try it -- I'l wait ........

OK.  So now, try hooking the unused cable in your room into the FiOS TV box.   Does it work, do you get TV?   If so, you're all done.   Surf happy.

If not, you have  two choices ... trace the cable now attached to the FiOS TV box and find where it meets up with the cable from the ONT and via a splitter get it onto the same cable plant.   Optionally, get a high quality splitter (rated for digital signals -- typically it'll say 5Mhz-1000Mhz)  and two short lengths of cable (not the cheap stuff, but digital signal rated cables) and attach it to the end of the cable where your router is now attached.   Attach one side of the splitter to the router and the other to the TV box.   Done.

Make sense?

Essentially, the "Fiber" part of FiOS is the delivery method between the Verizon central office and the ONT outside your house.  Distribution of TV/Internet inside your house is on Coax.

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

hello and good day Smiley Very Happy

That wireless router in your room may have an ethernet port on it.  Does it?

Is there any other router in the house?  Wireless or wired?

If the coax coming into your room is connected to the Verizon network in any way, You can put in a MoCa switch (coax --> IN to both coax --> out AND ethernet -->out)  I used to be able to get them at radio shack.

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks everyone for the help.  I WISH the wireless router was in my room.  It does have ethernet connections on it.    I imagine I could just plug it into my computer in that case. 

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'm going to take a look at the installation this week.  My greatest fear is that the two cables in my room are not hooked into the previous cable system but were run directly to the dish on the roof somehow.  That would leave the room unwired.  It doesn't seem likely, but who knows.

0 Likes
bangorme
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I won't go into the horror story (didn't involve Vios), but I ended up in another apartment and luck have it, it too has the same setup as the one I opened this thread about.  I had ordered an ActionTec HME2200-02 and hooked it up to the split coax going to the cable box.  Everything seems to be working great, but two questions:

1) The MoCA adapter that came was a model # ECB2200, is there a difference?

2) Will using this setup effect the internet of the other users in the house (one hardwired into the router and the other using wifi)?

Thanks for everyone's help.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The HME number is the order number, the ECB is the actual part number ... it's what you wanted.

Since you all share the same Internet connection, you can certainly impact everyone else ... just like they can impact you.  As the internet is the constrained connection (probably 20mb or 35mb) and all the other connections in the house are 100mb or less as well, the fact they you're on MoCA where they might be wired directly is a non-issue.   You are essentially not different than if they connected you directly to one of the open ethernet ports on the router.

- lasagna (now writing under my regular userid instead of my temporary "ravioli" userid)