Wireless connectivity problem!

Wireless connectivity problem!

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 7
(10,418 Views)

Just bought a new laptop. It connects to the router fine but I lose internet connection every few seconds. The internet connection goes on and off. Local connection stays on and it says limited connectivity.. Can barely open one page before I lose connection. Laptop works fine on all other wireless networks. I tried it on another fios connection and it did the same thing.

I don't seem to have any problems w/thPs3 hooked wirelessly. My main computer is wired and works fine as well.

Please help!

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 2 of 7
(10,408 Views)
Try to change your wireless channel to 11, and not auto. There maybe some interference from other wireless devices like wireless phones, a wire less mouse keyboard etc. It may not be effecting the PS3 because it is not near any wireless device. I would assume you are using a wireless mouse and that can kill it. 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 3 of 7
(10,401 Views)

I do Have a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. I will give that a try later, but like I said It happened on someone elses fios network as well. I will try changing the channel and report back,

Thanks

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 4 of 7
(10,393 Views)

I changed the channel to 10 and it seems to be working so far.

Thanks!!!

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Message 5 of 7
(10,352 Views)
you want to make my post as the solution, so people know where to look for the info. 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 6 of 7
(9,924 Views)
How do I do this changing of wireless channel?  Is this in the computer or the wireless router?
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Message 7 of 7
(9,921 Views)

It is done on the router. The wireless card in the computer looks at all channels available in attempting to establish a connection. In other words it is up to the PC to find the wireless network.

In your browser type in http://192.168.1.1

That will connect you to the router.

You will have to log in at somepoint, but pick wireless, and go to basic security settings. Item 3 is channel. Default is automatic, but you can set it to a specific channel 1-11. You may have to try several channels to find the one that works best.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.