Wireless devices listed as "ethernet"
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

Some of the devices that connect to my Actiontec MI424WR wirelessly are showing "ethernet" for "connection type" in the "My Network" section of the router's administration web pages.  Why would it do this?  The router is " REV C", and I am using the most up to date version of the firmware, 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4.  It did the same thing with the previous version of the firmware that I had installed, 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Wireless devices listed as "ethernet"
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Do all of the computer(s) have the same Default Gateway?

For example of how to check that, if on Windows XP...

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#2 If not on Windows XP, it would help to know the OS and Version.

#3 There another issue about that brand, model and hardware version of router.

It has a small/tiny NAT table.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

Re: Wireless devices listed as "Ethernet"
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

Only one of the wireless devices this is occurring with is a computer, the other is an Xbox 360, and there is no way I know of to do the equivalent of "ipconfig /all" on it.  The laptop that is sometimes showing as a wired device despite being wireless is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and its default gateway is the address of the router, 192.168.1.1.

Since my initial post, I have learned that the connections are listed incorrectly as "Ethernet" only when they are inactive, that is, when the PC or the Xbox are turned off.  When they are on, they are correctly identified as "wireless".

0 Likes
Re: Wireless devices listed as "Ethernet"
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ronzie wrote:

Since my initial post, I have learned that the connections are listed incorrectly as "Ethernet" only when they are inactive, that is, when the PC or the Xbox are turned off.  When they are on, they are correctly identified as "wireless".

Very interesting.

Users on this board will think about what that means, and how to fix it.

While I don't have this brand and model of router OR for that matter FIOS, that includes me too.

@ronzie wrote:

Only one of the wireless devices this is occurring with is a computer, the other is an Xbox 360, and there is no way I know of to do the equivalent of "ipconfig /all" on it.

#1 I went to portforward.com -> Other Guides -> Configuring a Static IP Address. -> Setup a Static IP address on the Xbox 360.

#2 While I don't have an Xbox: By looking at those pictures provided, I would think there is a way to check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers on the Xbox 360 - without changing any setting from Dynamic (DHCP) to Static.

@ronzie wrote:

The laptop that is sometimes showing as a wired device despite being wireless is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, and its default gateway is the address of the router, 192.168.1.1.

That is includes when that laptop is off?

--

I wonder if the fix is to assign Static IPs to all of the computers, behind the router.

ex: Laptop 192.168.1.5, Desktop 192.168.1.6, and Xbox 192.168.1.7

^

0 Likes