Wireless laptop drops wireless signal
wilssm

Hello, I just got fios installed last week and I love the speeds on my desktop computer. When I tried to use with my wireless laptop I cannot maintain a connection, I have tried to reset the router to no avail. Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless laptop drops wireless signal
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

Hey Wilssm, you can try logging into the Actiontec Router http://192.168.1.1 username: admin then password: try password1 then goto wireless settings & then basic security settings & then try changing the channel to 6 or 11 see if that helps out. Brett

0 Likes
wilssm

Tried changing to channel 11 then 6 still have same problem

0 Likes
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some things to try:

1) Possible IP address conflict between multiple PCs.  Make sure that your router and laptop are both set for DHCP so that the laptop's IP address is not being clobbered by another PC.  You can find this out by typing "ipconfig /all" in a MS-DOS prompt box.  This will also show you info about the various network adapters installed on your laptop, which I talk about in #2 below.

2) Possible confusion between network adapters on same PC.  On your laptop, it's common to have multiple network adapters (NICs) present, like a LAN port for ethernet, internal wireless adapter, bluetooth, etc.  Try disabling the LAN and/or other NICs that you aren't using, so that the only NIC that your laptop is trying to use is the wireless adapter.  You can do this by right-clicking "My Network Places" on your desktop and select "Properties" for WinXP. If you're running a diffferent OS, check for a Network related option in your Control Panel.

0 Likes
wilssm

I played around with the settings and changed to channel 5 and it seems to be working fine now.

wilssm

0 Likes