Switch Account

Wireless laptop drops wireless signal

Wireless laptop drops wireless signal

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 1 of 5
(5,204 Views)

Hello, I just got fios installed last week and I love the speeds on my desktop computer. When I tried to use with my wireless laptop I cannot maintain a connection, I have tried to reset the router to no avail. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Employee Emeritus Employee Emeritus
Employee Emeritus
Message 2 of 5
(5,193 Views)

Hey Wilssm, you can try logging into the Actiontec Router http://192.168.1.1 username: admin then password: try password1 then goto wireless settings & then basic security settings & then try changing the channel to 6 or 11 see if that helps out. Brett

Brett
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 3 of 5
(5,137 Views)

Tried changing to channel 11 then 6 still have same problem

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Message 4 of 5
(5,117 Views)

Some things to try:

1) Possible IP address conflict between multiple PCs.  Make sure that your router and laptop are both set for DHCP so that the laptop's IP address is not being clobbered by another PC.  You can find this out by typing "ipconfig /all" in a MS-DOS prompt box.  This will also show you info about the various network adapters installed on your laptop, which I talk about in #2 below.

2) Possible confusion between network adapters on same PC.  On your laptop, it's common to have multiple network adapters (NICs) present, like a LAN port for ethernet, internal wireless adapter, bluetooth, etc.  Try disabling the LAN and/or other NICs that you aren't using, so that the only NIC that your laptop is trying to use is the wireless adapter.  You can do this by right-clicking "My Network Places" on your desktop and select "Properties" for WinXP. If you're running a diffferent OS, check for a Network related option in your Control Panel.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Message 5 of 5
(5,061 Views)

I played around with the settings and changed to channel 5 and it seems to be working fine now.

wilssm

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.