Wireless light on Actiontec M1424WR is blinking without using wireless features
Haskell123
Enthusiast - Level 1

The wireless light on my Actiontec M1424WR router blinks continuously even though I'm not using wireless computers.  Do I have a security issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless light on Actiontec M1424WR is blinking without using wireless features
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Haskell123 wrote:

The wireless light on my Actiontec M1424WR router blinks continuously even though I'm not using wireless computers.  Do I have a security issue?

Possibly, but probably not. It will blink anytime it has traffic or anytime any wireless device does a scan for a wireless signal. So if you have any wireless devices turned on (even if not using the internet) or there are any wireless devices within range of the router that are checking for wireless signals, you light will flash. Unless they have your security key, they cant get on your network, but they can see it and request access, your router will just deny it.

Now it is possible that someone hacked your key and is using your wireless. If your concerned about this change your wep key (or switch to wpa), if it continues, then it is likely just background scanning and nothing to worry about. If it stops, then you may have had an issue and you just stopped it.

View solution in original post

Re: Wireless light on Actiontec M1424WR is blinking without using wireless features
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Haskell123 wrote:

Possibly, but probably not. It will blink anytime it has traffic or anytime any wireless device does a scan for a wireless signal. So if you have any wireless devices turned on (even if not using the internet) or there are any wireless devices within range of the router that are checking for wireless signals, you light will flash. Unless they have your security key, they cant get on your network, but they can see it and request access, your router will just deny it.

Now it is possible that someone hacked your key and is using your wireless. If your concerned about this change your wep key (or switch to wpa), if it continues, then it is likely just background scanning and nothing to worry about. If it stops, then you may have had an issue and you just stopped it.

Haskell123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Many thanks for your help.  I'll monitor it for now and if my concern continues, I'll change the WEP.  Haskell123

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Go into admin on the router and look at My Network, Network Status.

It will show you all the devices that are, or have, connected to your router since it was last reset.  Check the names of all of them to make sure you recognize them.  The MOCA connections are the VZ devices and the ethernet are wirelss and/or wired devices.  You should only see your own devices and one unusual one that would have been the installers machine.

Anything else and you probably want to worry about it.