Wireless passwords
Kundtz
Enthusiast - Level 2

How to change wireless account passwords on FIOS G1100 router both 2.4 and 5.0 accounts. Cannot find on basic or advanced security pages. Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless passwords
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to change the password by simply going into the Wireless settings, selecting the Advanced settings, and then selecting WPA2 at which point it will prompt you to provide a key for the WPA2 network.

Note, if you are not changing the SSID, it may be necessary to reboot the router after you save and apply the changes in order to get the current devices to disconnect and renegotiate with the new password.

I would try changing both the SSID and key and rebooting the router and then logging into the router to make sure it shows the new SSID and key and then try attaching a device to the new SSID.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend
0 Likes
Kundtz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reference to the user guide. I had looked in there, but I was hesitant to change to WEP security because Verizon rates it as HIGH RISK. I wanted to keep WPA2 security becuase it is LOW RISK- but apparently you cannot change the wi-fi password for WPA2 security? I see that you can change the password for WPA2/WPA mixed mode security - do you think that WPA2/WPA security, which is MEDIUM RISK, is safe enough for residential use? Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Kundtz wrote:

Thank you for your reference to the user guide. I had looked in there, but I was hesitant to change to WEP security because Verizon rates it as HIGH RISK. I wanted to keep WPA2 security becuase it is LOW RISK- but apparently you cannot change the wi-fi password for WPA2 security? I see that you can change the password for WPA2/WPA mixed mode security - do you think that WPA2/WPA security, which is MEDIUM RISK, is safe enough for residential use? Thanks again for your help.

Never use wep ever.

WPA2/WPA is perfect. Use it.

it will be fine for your home network.

Good Luck 

lacartus
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just to confirm, the FiOS G1100 Quantum Gateway WPA2 password cannot be changed?   I've read the manual, which implies that the password can be changed.  I am actually able to change the password in the admin console and have it report that the password is change in the summary page.  However, the only wifi password that works is the one printed on the side of the G1100 box.  The new password does not work.  This is just silly, there must be some quirk to changing it.  I hope someone in the community has figured this out and can post a true solution.  🙂  

I have even switched to WPA2/WPA mix on 2.4GHz and changed the password.  I did this while logged into 2.4GHz wifi on the old password.  Every other access point I have owned (dozens) would boot me off the network and make me reconnect with the new password.  This really is odd.  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to change the password by simply going into the Wireless settings, selecting the Advanced settings, and then selecting WPA2 at which point it will prompt you to provide a key for the WPA2 network.

Note, if you are not changing the SSID, it may be necessary to reboot the router after you save and apply the changes in order to get the current devices to disconnect and renegotiate with the new password.

I would try changing both the SSID and key and rebooting the router and then logging into the router to make sure it shows the new SSID and key and then try attaching a device to the new SSID.

lacartus
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Lasagna!  I had to reboot the Gateway for the change to take effect and change the password.  For posterity, here are the steps:

a.  Log into the gateway 192.168.1.1 with the password on the gateway sticker "Manage router settings" password.  Unrelated to wifi, but I like to change this password too since any written-down password is not very secure. 

b. Click on the Wireless Settings icon at the top of the screen.

1. Click on Basic Security Settings (see #1 in screenshot below)

2. Click on the WPA2, it does not look like a link, but by clicking on it the change password section is revealed (not very user friendly).  You can now enter your password. The gateway/router will say it is reloading and you may need to re-enter your password, but I never had to.  You will now see your new password listed when you click on the WPA2.  HOWEVER, try it on a device and it will not WORK!  This is because the change does not take affect until the gateway/router is rebooted.  To do this click on the Advanced icon on the home screen.  Click on "Yes" for the warning to proceed.  Under Utilities, click "Reboot router".  This will take a few minutes and bring down your hardwire (ethernet) connections along with wireless.  Once it reboots you can log back in...unless you were on wireless, in which case you will need to join the wireless network using the password you just set. 

Sidenote, this works by clicking on any of the wireless security protocols, but WPA2 is currently most secure. 

Also note, I had to use Firefox browser to post as Chrome was getting stuck in an endless auto-login loop of some kind.  Chrome (win-64 ver. 58.0.3029.110)

jessedh
Enthusiast - Level 1

THANK YOU! - this actually answered the question

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes