Wireless router loses connectivity with cordless phone
saintarv

Hey guys I need help.  Just got FIOS internet and a new router SFZ31.  Anyway the ethernet cable works great with my 2 desk top computers but the problem is my wireless laptop, Wii and Playstation wireless connectiviy.  Everytime my cordless phone rings (Vtech) and I turn the phone on I lose the wireless connection.  Ones I hang up the connection connects again.  Is there any compatible cordless phone that won't interfere with my wireless connection?  Any suggestion will be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless router loses connectivity with cordless phone
techboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem with my cordless phone all i did was change the channel that the wireless router broadcast on and that solved the problem. you should call verizon tech support and they can walk you on how to do this with your router. seems that the router and the phone might be on the same frequency..i am using channel 11 . This should fix your problem without having to get a new phone  

please drop me a line and let me know what happens

Message Edited by techboy on 09-19-2008 07:17 AM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Sounds like something is wrong with the router. I would first try swapping out the router before I did anything else.
0 Likes
techboy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem with my cordless phone all i did was change the channel that the wireless router broadcast on and that solved the problem. you should call verizon tech support and they can walk you on how to do this with your router. seems that the router and the phone might be on the same frequency..i am using channel 11 . This should fix your problem without having to get a new phone  

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
I recall reading in some documentation that 2.4GHz cordless phone systems are likely to interfere with the wireless-router. I don't think that simply changing the channel will solve your problem since if both the phone and the router are transmitting at the same frequency (or close together) you're gonna get interference. The best solution (you won't like it) is to replace your cordless phones with a different system that uses either 5.8GHz or 9GHz (the other two common standards today).
0 Likes
saintarv

@techboy wrote:

This worked.  I called Verizon and they changed the Channel to 11 and it my phone doesn't interfere anymore.  Thanks buddy.

0 Likes
Re:Phone calls dropped
TechMaven
I have a Vtech 5781 / 5.8 GHz Expandable cordless telephone with digital answering system along with 2  i5808 Accessory Handsets. A  NEW MI424WR Actiontec Router. I have been experiencing dropped calls constantly and have tried resetting the phones, designating the router to b only and then g only protocol. Still calls are dropping. I also just tried the Channel 11 bump, got 8 minutes into a call DROPPED. Both Verizon and I have proofed that the problem is with the phones. Anyone have any other suggestions? Love the phones, don't want to have to trash them but this may ultimately be the route to go. Vtech was very little help, we did resets and finally they just suggested to visit their website with a coupon code and buy a new set. Anyone else having this problem? Greatly appreciate all responses!
0 Likes
Re: Re:Phone calls dropped
Techman28
Master - Level 1

Techmaven

My suggestion to that is to re contact that Vtech if the phones are under a year old because you may either get a new phone or your money back as there should be a 1 year warranty on that type of equipment.

0 Likes
TechMaven

Thanks Techman28, already tried that approach and the units are about two years old. I just bought a Panasonic CORDED phone and there have be no dropped calls. Its definitely a router-phone conflict. I also believe that even though the the VTECH phones transmit on 5725-5850 MHZ, the phones also utilize the 2.4GHz in some capacity, maybe caller ID or some address book/handset function.

Looks like I will have to shop for new cordless phones. I don't suppose Verizon has a list of compatible phones? I never had a problem with these phones until I got the MI424WR. Disappointing...

0 Likes
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

Many cordless phones ADVERTISED as "5.7 GHz" are actually dual frequency devices, and in fact use the 5.7 GHz band only to transmit from the base unit to the handset. The handset quite often uses a lower frequency band (sic 2.4 GHz, or even 900 MHz) to transmit from the handset --thus the handset TRANSMITS (voice) in the 2.4 GHz band, and actually only RECEIVES (voice) in the 5.7 GHz band. Try moving the base unit away from (or position the antenna so that it is perpendicular) the router antenna.

Message Edited by kvelling on 10-30-2008 05:13 PM
0 Likes
TX_Fios_Usr

Ha...what's so funny about this is when you buy both devices from the same company and they aren't compatible.  I retired from a telephone company, but recall visiting a customer site for complaints of dropped calls.  The problem was a "Line-Sharing Device", those pesky boxes that let you share a fax machine on your phone line.  Basically, the box answers the incoming call and if it hears fax tones, rings the fax; if not, it rings the phone.  Anyway, those things were notorious for dropping calls, especially if they get stuck back in a wiring closet a long way from the phones.

So, I advised the customer this was their issue, as the box was CPE (Customer Provided Equipment).  I also told them they should take the thing back to whereever they purchased it and get their money back.  At that point they glared at me, telling me they had just purchased it from our phone mart!  Ugh!

You'd think companies would do some simple testing before sending us all home with boxes of stuff that won't work together!?  Oh, well, welcom to the new mellenium.

0 Likes