Wireless router not wireless anymore
Stumbleine
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the Actiontec MI424WR wireless router that Verizon provided me with when I first subscribed to Fios.  The wireless internet feature had been working great for a year or so, but we recently had a snow storm that knocked out our services for a few days.  Since our service has been restored, I can no longer get wireless access to my router.  Wired access is still working properly.  There is a "Wireless" indicator on the front of the router, which no longer lights up, while all of the other indicators are lit up.  Has the wireless feature somehow been disabled, meaning that I just need to find that setting and flip it back, or did the storm do some damage to the router and break the wireless feature?

Tags (1)
Re: Wireless router not wireless anymore
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Are you in Texas?  The rolling blackouts there took a toll on older model ONTs due to power surges.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Important-updates-for-Texas-FiOS-customers/td-p/278999

While you problem is not ONT related, it's possible a power surge could have fried the wireless section of the router.

Regardless of whether you're in Texas or not, try the following.

• Power cycle the router leaving it off for at least 30 seconds.  See if wireless comes back on.
  • Perform a hard reset on the router by pressing in the reset button on the back until all the lights go out, then come back on.

If neither of those fixes the problem, you will have to call in for a replacement router.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

One additional thing to try. After you reset the router, log into the router and go to the advanced section. manually have the router check for new firmware.

There was a faulty firmware that would drop the wireless portion of the router. Now the router is supposed to check for the firmware automatically, but it doesnt hurt to check.

Stumbleine
Enthusiast - Level 1

Rebooting and resetting the router did not have any effect.  I logged into the router settings and found that the wireless option is turned off.  I turned it on, clicked the "Apply" button, and I am presented with a page showing that my wireless status is on.  However, when I navigate away from the wireless settings and navigate back, it, again, shows that wireless is turned off.  Is this a sign that the hardware is fried, or could there be another setting that I am missing?  I checked for a firmware upgrade, but I appear to have the latest version.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Stumbleine wrote:

Rebooting and resetting the router did not have any effect.  I logged into the router settings and found that the wireless option is turned off.  I turned it on, clicked the "Apply" button, and I am presented with a page showing that my wireless status is on.  However, when I navigate away from the wireless settings and navigate back, it, again, shows that wireless is turned off.  Is this a sign that the hardware is fried, or could there be another setting that I am missing?  I checked for a firmware upgrade, but I appear to have the latest version.

Its probably fried.  you can try to roll back the firmware,  to see if the previous one responds better so instead of upgrade firmware do restore or rollback firmware (its under upgrade firmware)   otherwise open a chat support link by clicking on contact us at the bottom of the page, or call 800 VERIZON

bosha

There is something wrong with Actiontec routers. I mean something wrong with their WiFi portion only. I just received from Verizon a router number 4. Each router worked well for about a year and then WiFi stopped functioning. Even newer model has the same issue with WiFi. So I am not even trying to resolve the problem. I call Verizon and request a a replacement. Another way to get around this problem is to add another wireless router and to make it cascaded. I used a Lynksis router for a while.

0 Likes
cinp

My case is slightly different; the wireless light is on but either cannot connect to the router or internet speed is painfully slow. I got a replacement from Vz and the new one is the same. The wired line is ok, though. I guess I'd ask vz to send me another one, based on your experience.

0 Likes