Wireless speed difference with WEP and WPA2?
yz1234
I am connecting to my FiOS router wirelessly, since I was new on wireless networking, I did lots of reading they all say WEP encryption is flawed, and WPA2 should be used instead. So I changed the router's default WEP to WPA2 the same day I got FiOS installed. When I check about 10 of my neighbor's wireless networks, 8 of them using WEP, 1 has Security Disabled(D'oh), and I am the only one using WPA2-personal. My question is will I see any connection speed difference between using WEP and WPA2?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless speed difference with WEP and WPA2?
Herbz3
Enthusiast - Level 2
In short: No, there should be little, if any speed difference between the two.

WPA2 uses TKIP/AES algorithms to encrypt, which is a lot safer (though not completely safe) than WEP, though that should have negligible effect on the actual speed.
Message Edited by Herbz3 on 04-09-2009 03:01 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Herbz3
Enthusiast - Level 2
In short: No, there should be little, if any speed difference between the two.

WPA2 uses TKIP/AES algorithms to encrypt, which is a lot safer (though not completely safe) than WEP, though that should have negligible effect on the actual speed.
Message Edited by Herbz3 on 04-09-2009 03:01 PM
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
in every day use, your experience will vary.  There is more "going on" with WPA and WPA2 than with WEP, such as message checking and encryption key changes for each data transmission, so these, combined with other possibilities inherent in computer-connected-to-internet use, can slow you down.  Another factor:  There will be more administrative overhead to use WPA or WPA2.  such as if you ever have to reset the router (to default settings), the default is WEP, so you have to go into the router to then chage it (or import a config file you previously saved on your PC).   AND If you need to call verizon tier one tech support, they only support default settings.  Their premium service is called Expert Care.
0 Likes
yz1234

Thank you guys for the info!

My FiOS router and wireless adapters support all WEP, WPA, and WPA2, it makes sense to use the best encryption they have to offer.

0 Likes