Re: Wireless suddenly stops working, no idea why......
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Smith662:

Thanks for your post.  I used an app called Wireless Analyzer on my Nexus 5 to check the strength of the wireless signal at various places in my house.  I have the ActionTec MI424WR Rev I router and it had been set to "Automatic" channel selection.  When I started testing the analyzer showed my Nexus 5  was using Channel 1.

Everywhere I went the analyzer showed that channels 11 - 14 were stronger, and 14 seemed to be the best one overall.  When I went to change the router to I found that 11 was the highest number channel available, so I set it to that one.

I wonder if future versions of the router will allow use of the higher number channels.  I also wonder if my existing wireless devices will be able to recognize them.  My Nexus 5 and the ASUS wireless card in my wife's computer picked up Channel 11 immediately.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

At this time only channels 1-11 are approved for use in the U.S.  If the analyzer you're using is showing channel 14 in use the signal has to be coming from something other than a WiFi network.

Also, if the Wireless Analyzer is showing the strongest signal was on channel 11 when your Actiontec is using channel 1, it means you should stay away from channel 11 because there's another strong network on that channel.

If channel 1 doesn't show a conflicting network, another SSID, that would be the best choice for your Actiontec.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes