Wish to get ONT ethernet activated for gigabit internet
AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently stopped my Fios TV service and now have stand alone internet at 100/100. I would like to upgrade to gigabit speed but have been told that a tech visit is necessary. From what I've read in this forum, I'm not entirely sure that that is true.  I have an old ONT, Alcatel I-211M-H, manufactured in Oct. 2010. From dslreports, I see this:

I-211M-HSFUInterior1: MoCA1: 10/100/1G Ethernet

so it should support gigabit. I have a MOCA coax connection to my Verizon gateway, and I've already run a cat 7 ethernet cable from the ONT to my router.

Are these next steps correct and doable:

1. contact Verizon to enable the ONT ethernet port;
  2. release the DHCP lease on the gateway and plug in my router;
  3. contact Verizon again to upgrade to gigabit?

When I was canceling my TV and phone, the initial layer of customer service told me that I needed a tech home visit to cancel and go to stand-alone internet. I was able to get to a higher level agent who helped me. Thanks for any and all input.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wish to get ONT ethernet activated for gigabit internet
AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to admit that Verizon exceeded my expectations. I connected via chat and the agent knew exactly what to do. In what seemed like no time, the ONT ethernet port was active. I then asked the agent if he was now able to upgrade me to gigabit internet and again the answer was yes. In about 1/2 hour, ethernet port and gigabit internet were accomplished. There was a slight hiccough because I had to reconfigure my router, but once that was done, things are working great. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you have it correct. First thing to do is switch you current MoCA connection to ethernet. Either call tech support or try @VerizonSupport on Twitter. 

Once you are switched to ethernet wait a day or so then try the order again. It should let you upgrade with a tech visit. The ONT you have definitely supports a gigabit connection. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It depends.

Yes, you can have your service provisioning switched from MoCA to Ethernet over the phone.   I've  done it myself.  Simply wired up the ethernet and called the tech support number and specifically stated that I wanted my Internet provisioning on my ONT switched from MoCA to Ethernet and that all the wiring had already been completed.  Took them about 5 minutes with no visit required.

No, you might not be able to get gigabit ethernet without a visit.   Depending on the model ONT you have and what your fiber is connected to at the other end in the Verizon facilities, a visit may indeed be required.   It is possible that the will need to swap out your current ONT for a new model capable of gigabit speeds as well as may need to swap the port (Bpon to Gpon) to which your fiber is connected at the other end (which requires a visit as they need to validate and test connectivity of the fiber -- or more correctly potentially troubleshoot it if the swap doesn't just "work" -- so they there is still the potential for needing a home visit to resolve and thus why they won't do it).

I'd start with "convert from MoCA to Ethernet" with no speed change and get that working first.    That clearly requires no visit.   Then try the switch to Gig speeds to see if that will go thru without a visit being flagged.

From posts elsewhere on this forum, it sounds like Verizon may be restarting home visits in areas where restrictions have been lifted, so this may just resolve itself. 

AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>It should let you upgrade with a tech visit. <<

I'm hoping that you meant without a tech visit?

0 Likes
AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>may need to swap the port (Bpon to Gpon)<<

I have no idea what those acronyms represent, but according to dslreports, my ONT is a GPON ONT. 

But I will take it one step at a time.

0 Likes
AndyFios
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to admit that Verizon exceeded my expectations. I connected via chat and the agent knew exactly what to do. In what seemed like no time, the ONT ethernet port was active. I then asked the agent if he was now able to upgrade me to gigabit internet and again the answer was yes. In about 1/2 hour, ethernet port and gigabit internet were accomplished. There was a slight hiccough because I had to reconfigure my router, but once that was done, things are working great. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Great! Glad they got it work for you. You have a GPON ONT it just wouldn't let you upgrade before because you were on coax.