Re: World of Warcraft DC's using Verizon Security Suite - fixes?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK Soupy ...

That changes things a bit since that points to the home network setup vs the system itself.   Can you tell me if the connection at work is also behind a DSL router or is it a bridged setup?   If you're not sure, what is the local IP address assigned to the machine at your office when you connect?

Are you hard wire connected or using wireless at home?

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

OK Soupy ...

That changes things a bit since that points to the home network setup vs the system itself.   Can you tell me if the connection at work is also behind a DSL router or is it a bridged setup?   If you're not sure, what is the local IP address assigned to the machine at your office when you connect?

Are you hard wire connected or using wireless at home?

The connection at work is wireless to a DSL router (Westel 7500).  Connection used is wireless.

At home the problem exists using the same  laptop as wireless or my hardwired desktop.  All equipment is std Verizon.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK.  Let's try two experiments ...

1. Pick one of the machines and get it's IP address.   Then go into your router (192.168.1.1 usually) and click on the Firewall Settings, DMZ Host, and enable DMZ host and specify the IP address of the machine we are testing from.    Apply.   This will expose the machine to the internet directly for more traffic -- but more importantly will remove the statefulness of the NAT firewall on the device for this one machine to see if maybe the ActionTec is closing the tunnel.   Post your results -- generally, don't leave your machine in this state.

2. After completing testing above and removing the PC from the DMZ, go into the router again and this time Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play and uncheck BOTH boxes and apply.   Test again.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@EpicFail wrote:

The only true way to remove McAfee is to reformat and Reinstall.

If you happen to have an Actiontec WAP, then you are probably going to experience A LOT of disconnects.

FIOS happens to have a lot of issues with keeping MMO's running.

Funny, I've been playing various MMOs on Verizon FiOS for years, never had any problems. Yes, I'm using the Actiontec router that came with the service.

Maybe it's not FiOS. Maybe it's you/your pc/your network, EpicFail.

0 Likes
EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No.. It was actually the coax that Verizon used to connect the ONT to my house.

It was grounded incorrectly.

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok last night I went into my router to try the DMZ testing etc and noticed port forwarding wasn't set - even though I thought the installer mentioned needing to do it and thought he set it.  I turned it on for WoW and was able to run without incident for well over an hour of testing.  Tonight I will be able to stress test that solution.  I still have VISS installed and running.

Now on to my laptop.  Running Windows 7 and VISS.  I still got disconnects as port forwarding appears to be device dependent.  I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall VISS.  WoW appears to now work ok, but the uninstall had adversely affected my internet explorer software (I can no longer see my wall feed from facebook, it has affected the entry of username and passwords as well.  I tried to reset it and it could not perform the last step. 

Google Chrome works fine.   I guess I will muck things up more by uninstalling IE8 (64 bit) and reinstalling the 32 bit version as there is an issue with some 64 bit addons anyway causing performance issues..  

Soupy

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sure ... the port forwarding you specify in the router is for a specific host address ... so you are in a sense enabling it to work for that specific system.  This is essentially what I was going for with the DMZ suggestion since it's a simple way to "port forward" everything to a specific system -- if such a change works, it's an indicator of a need for a port forward.

Sounds like you're starting to make progress on things however.

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank-you for the help.  Now to get my laptop back in shape.  

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well the laptop is now functional after I found a cleaner off the Mcafee site, but haven't done any more WoW  testing on it.

The desktop running with port forwarding set for WoW and Ventrilo (voice client) did not pass my stress test (nighttime group raiding in WoW).  I still got DC's although they seemed slightly less frequent, but totally unacceptable.  The DC's occur at various times and I can't identify some "event" that might be triggering it - from sitting idle to being in the middle of a 25-man fight.  At the end of the evening I removed the VISS and ran the cleaner utility.  Tonight I will run with this setup and see what happens.  My concern here is turning off the firewall and other utilities does not help the DC's.

One of my fellow WoW players said Verizon is probably causing the issue by fiddling with the ports.

I sent a note to the Actiontec support and they replied with - never heard of a problem like that!  I will probably send another ticket to them today.

I'm going to look at Ventrilo forums for any info.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

If you've placed the computer into the DMZ, then ports should no longer be an issue. Operative word is should.

How long has the VISS been installed? Have you considered doing a system restore to before the VISS installation?