Re: World of Warcraft DC's using Verizon Security Suite - fixes?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The OP hasn't tried the DMZ scenario yet, nor my UPnP ... so those remain to be tested.

As for the "port fiddling" speculation, that's barking up the wrong tree.   As somegirl indicated previously, others play these types of games on their FiOS connection all the time ... this is a local environment issue.   We just haven't stumbled on the cause yet.

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I never did the true DMZ test because when I did the port forwarding -  the problem appeared to go away.  However under real use conditions the problem came up again - not sure why as my initial testing had the same programs running however the level of activity on Ventrilo and WoW was much lower (especially Ventrilo).  It looks like testing this is going to be a pain.  I can test again tonight, but I don't have the time to reset things during my test window (4 hours of continuous activity).

I really prefer not to do a restore, but that will be another option ... short of dropping the service and going back to Comcast where I only had extreme occasional issues and not frequent DC's like Fios.

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last night I was able to do a full test - not very successful once again.

Desktop without VISS  (using removal tool not restore point) running Ventrilo and WoW and port forwarding - complete failure  DC's occuring frequently like before.

Since I was in the middle of a raid at break I turned on my laptop to separate running Ventrilo on laptop (wireless) and WoW on my desktop.  Port forwarding was set for Desktop still for both products.  What I noticed was both WoW and Ventrilo would DC at different times and not affect each other.  WoW ran for longer periods of time without DC, but it was still a problem.

So clearly the environment causes Ventrilo and WoW to DC and on same system the "event" causing it affects both softwares.  WoW doesn't crash - just DC, but Ventrilo actually can't find servers anymore so it has to be shut down and restarted.

I had a moment once again so I remembered the port forward and got in router and turned it off for Ventrilo.

Ventrilo DC's stopped at least to the end of the evening.  WoW still had an occasional DC.  WoW is still unacceptable as I would only DC in Wow maybe once or twice a week not 10 - 20 times or more in an (4 hour) evening.

So now I decided that maybe it was time to turn off port forwarding as that was the state the system worked ok with originally.  I turned off WoW port forwarding and rebooted the router (this was after raid).   WoW seemed to run ok, but the test was not a full 25 man raid - it was just a 5 man activity so inconclusive.

I have a 10 man activity this evening so I will try current setup and then perform the DMZ test.

Feeling like this is a resource issue/environment problem, which somehow got introduced with VISS.  I know there was also a windows update around the same time.

I will report results tomorrow and be prepared to do a restore point to before VISS was installed. 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

It almost sounds like you may be having a traffic routing issue with the verizon router.

Do you have another router laying around? If so, I would try adding another router behind the verizon router. Connect your computers to the new router, and just use the verizon router for passthru.  The new firmware should have corrected the small/tiny nat table problem the verizon routers had in the past, but you may still be seeing remnants of that.

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

It almost sounds like you may be having a traffic routing issue with the verizon router.

Do you have another router laying around? If so, I would try adding another router behind the verizon router. Connect your computers to the new router, and just use the verizon router for passthru.  The new firmware should have corrected the small/tiny nat table problem the verizon routers had in the past, but you may still be seeing remnants of that.

I do have another router that I used with Comcast for my home network/wireless N which worked fine.  Whiat configuration would I be doing to do a passthru ?  I was going to try the DMZ test using my PC's network address and check/turn off UPnP as suggested above and by Verizon support (who I finally contacted).  I noticed in a thread where the Actiontec no longer reports NAT issues in a log but actiontec tech support said the equipment should be ok and it is a Verizon issue since the problem targets Vent and WoW but the network stays up.. 

If none of these work I was going to run a test bypassing the Actiontec by requesting activation of the ethernet port and using my own router - just to see what results.

I appreciate all the input.  Hopefully I can get more data points this evening.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Depends on the type of router you have. Or I should say it depend on the IP address of the router.

If you have a D-link or a Netgear, these have different IP's than the Verizon, so they are plug and play. You just connect an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the Actiontec to the Internet port on the dlink/netgear. Then just connect your computers to the netgear. With this set up the actiontec just becomes another hop passing info from one router to another.

If you have another router like a linksys that uses the same IP as the actiontec (192.168.1.1) then you would have to alter the linksys to a different IP. THEN it plugs in like the others.

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Tried DMZ   DC'd within minutes.

Tried UPnP   same result - quick DC.

Plugged in DR-655 (dlink) router to lan port and pc into DR-655  after a bit of finaggling it recognized my "old" network and although I had an initial DC, I ran flawlessly all night in 10 man raiding with WoW and Ventrilo on same desktop.  This is the router I used off my Comcast modem before Fios, which ran my home network.  Great latency and resulting framerates - just what I was expecting to see from Fios.  It is also set with UPnP on and no port forwarding.

Where does that leave me?  Do I have a bad Actiontec?  I also understand there were some on-screen glitched (green streaks) when my family was watching a VoD program - not sur eif that is related or normal.

I can test another 10 man activity Saturday evening then have a full 25 man activity on Sunday evening.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Soupy wrote:

Tried DMZ   DC'd within minutes.

Tried UPnP   same result - quick DC.

Plugged in DR-655 (dlink) router to lan port and pc into DR-655  after a bit of finaggling it recognized my "old" network and although I had an initial DC, I ran flawlessly all night in 10 man raiding with WoW and Ventrilo on same desktop.  This is the router I used off my Comcast modem before Fios, which ran my home network.  Great latency and resulting framerates - just what I was expecting to see from Fios.  It is also set with UPnP on and no port forwarding.

Where does that leave me?  Do I have a bad Actiontec?  I also understand there were some on-screen glitched (green streaks) when my family was watching a VoD program - not sur eif that is related or normal.

I can test another 10 man activity Saturday evening then have a full 25 man activity on Sunday evening.

My guess is that your Verizon router has a small/tiny NAT Table.

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

^^

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Basically I did the following config (excerpt from adding your own router to Fios):

1. Secondary (LAN-to-WAN)
Simply plug the secondary (user) router into a LAN port on the Actiontec. User router must be configured for a different subnet than the Actiontec. The WAN port on the user router must also be set to use either a static IP address on the Actiontec subnet, or obtain its WAN address via DHCP.

PRO: 

• Simplest. VZ recommended solution.
    • No configuration changes required in the Actiontec.
    • Supported by VZ. i.e. No changes to Actiontec config needed when calling for support.
    • No cabling changes.
    • Can be used with either a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT.
    •Supports remote access to DVR

CON:

• Secondary (user) router is double NAT'ed.
    • No VZ support for secondary (user) router.
    • Still subject to small NAT table in the Actiontec.
    • Any port forwarding will need to be configured on both routers.
      The NAT table limit should still be there.   Again I'm not sure why this helped my problem and will be doing some additional testing this evening and Sunday. 
0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Saturday evening:  Setup is same as Friday with Actiontec as main router and D-Link plugged into a LAN port.  I powered my desktop on and proceeded to run Ventrilo and WoW.  Within the first half hour (no real activity was going on except forming the raid group and chatting -  I DC'd.  Figured this was like the prior evening where I DC'd once then everything ran fine.  The DC's continued during the fist hour of raiding and I was getting pretty aggravated, but we called for a 10 minute break.

I took the opportunity to turn off my desktop and the D-Link router and I then powered up the D-Link and once it appeared to be set I booted the desktop.  Proceeded to use Ventrilo and WoW and had a DC free rest of the evening.

Again I don't know why this solution helps out (double NAT?) and why I had to reset (setting?).  

Tonight I will be running a 25 man activity and we will see.  I probably will start without the reset to see if I get early DD's (before the 25 man).   I will probably reset the router before the raid just to be cautious. The Actiontec was rebooted on Friday, but no hard reset was performed.  Also except for the desktop, no other devices are hardwired into the routers.

0 Likes