Re: World of Warcraft DC's using Verizon Security Suite - fixes?
daybyday1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is very interesting. I got Fios in Oct 2009 I haven't been able to play WoW since. I never had a problem with Comcast. Now I Dc all the time, Vent will Dc as well but I do not lose internet connection. I too have the same Actiontec modem/router except mine is REV E. Thing is we shouldn't have to do a work around by using another router. We pay for this service and it should work out of the box.

I also have this problem with Starcraft 2 . So I think the problem is with Battle.net? Only happens with WoW and SC2 no other games give me this problem. I am so disappointed and I am stuck with Verizon for 2 years 😞

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah daybyday I agree this should be an out of the box no problem ability for such an "advanced" technology ...  Did you ever use the Verizon security solution (VISS)/using it now?  Have you tried this router to router test to see if it helps?  I hope to find out the cause not the bandage required to fix it.  As I first stated, out of the box the solution appeared tro work fine until I load VISS  ... but who knows for sure.  So as one contributor suggested, I should probably go back to a previous restore point.

I also have my WoW account using Battle.Net and never really put that in the equation as I thought the solution was fine until VISS was introduced.  I still need to try a test reverting bad my system to pre-VISS.  I am hesitant to do that, but may in a few days once folks see the results of my testing this evening (25 man) and comment.

0 Likes
daybyday1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Soupy,

I do have VISS installed and use it now, however I think I will now uninstall it. Husband does not want me to do the router to router because he has his laptop and xbox special ports open and doesn't want to have to go through that again.

so my options are

1) remove VISS

2) cancel FiOS internet and go back to Comcast (Where I never had any problems)

3) Keep things as they are and hope Verizon/Actiontec does a fix.

4) Stop playing MMO's? .. .hrms this really isn't an option for me 😞

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ran my test this evening without reboot.  Didn't DC until we started our raid.  I reset router and rebooted PC and got only one DC.  This occurred when I was just flying (no raid activity) and I was moved to another channel in Ventrilo.  I notice one TX error in the router stats.  Otherwise system ran OK.

So it appears under the current setup, I have to reboot the secondary router before each raid and things pretty much work.  Not a very good bandage.  I do have some data on the router in terms of config, addresses, etc.  I'm not an expert at networking , so not sure if a setting can be tweaked.

Unless there is any insight on this, my next step is to do a restore point before VISS and see what happens.  I am also going to look into Fios/Battle.net issues from the WoW forums and see if I can learn anything.  Not sure when I will do the restore - this will just be a windows restore - not an image or backup restore.

0 Likes
EpicFail1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was having te same issue with another MMO.

Are you having corrupted downloads on files over 10MB? Try downloading large files from MS or Java SDK.

It seems like your ONT could be bad

Daliddar

I think this is something that Verizon did, I am having the same issues. My problem started back in January so I have there tech come to the house and they checked my router and told me it was my computer. So I canceled my account with Blizzard and saved some money and built a new computer. Got my new computer built went from a XP system to Win 7 even. Reactivated my account about 3 weeks ago and I still have the same issues. I have since taken the steps that have been advised on here I even opened every port on my router with no luck. My DC's happen anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes after I start playing.

0 Likes
Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Daliddar wrote:

I think this is something that Verizon did, I am having the same issues. My problem started back in January so I have there tech come to the house and they checked my router and told me it was my computer. So I canceled my account with Blizzard and saved some money and built a new computer. Got my new computer built went from a XP system to Win 7 even. Reactivated my account about 3 weeks ago and I still have the same issues. I have since taken the steps that have been advised on here I even opened every port on my router with no luck. My DC's happen anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes after I start playing.

Are you running the VISS (Verizon Security from Mcafee)  or have you ever installed it on your computer?  Just curious since that's when my problems "seemed" to start.  

I'm at a loss until I get some feedback as the double router solution appears to control whatever is causing DC's, but I don't know why and this would help determine where the problem lies.  I do believe the problem is either marginal signal/hardware tolerance/setting.  I don't think it is server hopping etc.. in my case.

When my system was installed - the original port at the pole was bad (low to marginal signal) so I think the installer used another one (he said there were 4).  I also had a red light condition that disappeared (not sure exactly what it was and he said they usually ignore it).  All in all he reused my directv cables (spliced them) as he said they were better grade than what he would install.  Initially I had to reset STBs on occasion due to lockup but that has since gone away.  I also had trouble using remote DVR to one of my STBs which also required a reset.

When I spoke to Verizon tech support they suggested I run an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router and have Verizon activate the Ethernet port just to see if my problem goes away.  Problem is I would interfere with the TV portion in terms of VoD and guide information so I am reluctant to do this.

Next options:

1.  Hopefully get feedback on results so far

2.  Do a system restore from safe mode on one of my computers (both had VISS which I removed) and try to run using normal setup  (not sure system restore will provide a clean environment)

3.  Turn on an older computer I have with WoW installed (mothballed atm), update it etc...  and see what happens or set up an external drive with clean operating system and fresh WoW install.

4.  Try the ethernet port on ONT

5.  Talk to tech support (Verizon and possibly Actiontec)

(I feel this is such a specific issue that I won't get resolution through onsite support, but that is my last option.)

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This may also be a Moca issue. There have been reports of some connection issues that are tied to the Moca system. There doesnt seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. But there have been some that have found that running Ethernet from the ONT to the router for the internet connection has solved the issue.

This will not effect the VOD. You will still have the coax run to the router, you simply will be using eithernet for the internet portion.

Now since you are seeing an improvement using another router, this is probably not the issue. But you did say that the router has been replaced, right? And it seems you have checked just about everything else, so it looks like grasp at straws time. This may be another thing to look into.

Soupy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

This may also be a Moca issue. There have been reports of some connection issues that are tied to the Moca system. There doesnt seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. But there have been some that have found that running Ethernet from the ONT to the router for the internet connection has solved the issue.

This will not effect the VOD. You will still have the coax run to the router, you simply will be using eithernet for the internet portion.

Now since you are seeing an improvement using another router, this is probably not the issue. But you did say that the router has been replaced, right? And it seems you have checked just about everything else, so it looks like grasp at straws time. This may be another thing to look into.

I still have the original equipment from Verizon.  I think the confusion is that I added my old DIR-655 router to the configuration (plugged the DIR-655 into a LAN port on the Actiontec and my desktop into the DIR-655).  I also contacted Actiontec twice and they feel it is a verizon issue - who knows for sure? 

I think on the ethernet approach I was going to use my own router in one test and the actiontec in a separate test. If I could do some simple test to see the problem I could make so much more progress.

Another confusing data point,  last night I ran for about an hour using my laptop running WoW (no Vent) over Actiontec wireless with no DCs.  This was in no way equivalent to my raid testing, but under this situation I have normally DC'd frequently.

Is there any logging I can turn on to help gain insight.  My router does has a variety of logs I can produce and stat collection?

0 Likes
Daliddar

i have never installed VSS or mcafee on this computer.

0 Likes