Would Verizon be willing to negotiate for an open source project?
braun4
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, let me clarify a little here.

My friend and I have created a really nifty little website, called OpenRender, which allows anyone to render their blender scenes on our computers. (AKA take users 3d models, and generate the animations from these 3d models). Our website would be a non-profit endavor.

Point is though, we would need access to a business internet plan from Verizon (or other ISP) to put the site online, but we would not be able to afford one of these plans, considering the nature of the site. Does anyone know if it is even remotely possible Verizon or another ISP might be willing to "donate" this internet plan?

Re: Would Verizon be willing to negotiate for an open source project?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like a nice site. Put it up online somewhere since I'd like to check it out 🙂

If Verizon does donate a package to you, it sounds like you'll be needing the 150Mbps/75Mbps with Static IP package for such a site, mainly for the upload. Quite honestly, if you can't get a connection donated for your site, your best bet is to rent a cheap server (VPS or cheap Dedicated), one that is fast enough to handle your site, has 100+Mbps of connectivity and plenty of disk space and simply use the server as a proxy for your site data. Users upload their Blender files to be rendered, one of your PCs grab the files from the server, renders it, and uses a FiOS connection or another connection with a high upload to send the data back to the server for the user to download it from.

Co-location of a server is also a possibility, if there is a provider out there who is cheap enough to rent you rack space, bandwidth (100M+) and power, and you can build a render-box, you could co-locate a PC in a datacenter and have that be the render box, using another server to store the files and host the website.

Just a suggestion in case Verizon or another ISP will not help you out without charging you the $200+ monthly fee for decent connectivity.

0 Likes
Re: Would Verizon be willing to negotiate for an open source project?
braun4
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thanks. I guess Ill jist have to see what Im able to pull off. Our site is currently in alpha, so hopefully we'll get it online before the end of august. Anyways, thanks!