Would the FIOS Extender or a Mesh Network be Better?
TvMesh

Hi. I have been researching how to increase the WiFi on the second floor of my house (about 2k sqft).  The FIOS Quantum Gateway modem / router is located in the office in the basement (yep, not the best location).  I am able to hard-wire my work laptops, but the kids room get very little WiFi.  With their schools stating they may go virtual this fall, i would like to increase the WiFi coverage in their rooms.

I have researched getting a FIOS Network Extender (https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/) as we do have a coax connection in the master bedroom.  Of course, then we have a big extender with a wire from the wall sitting on the floor.

I have also researched mesh options such as the Eero.  In their FAQ at https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207987916, they describe the double Nat and bridging of the devices.  I like the idea of a mesh network as I can add additional beacons (or equivalent) should an area of the house be spotty.

We do have FIOS One TV, but it is hard-wired via a coax cable.  I am hoping that since it is wired the functionality would be unaffected by bridging the devices.  The spouse (and kids) acceptance factor to any solution will be negatively affected should the TV functionality not be there.

At bit more about my set up.  the ONT is in the garage.  Wires (coax / cat) run from the ONT to the modem / router which are about 10 feet from each other.  As mentioned the modem / router is in the basement.  I have the gigabit connection.  I cannot readily wire their rooms and believe it would be expensive to pay someone.

Before I spend money on any solution, I am hoping you might shed some light on questions I have.

Would the FIOS extender or a mesh network be better in the long run?

Will doing the double NAT and bridging not affect the TV functionality?

What other options to I have to increase WiFi coverage in the kids rooms on the second floor?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Would the FIOS Extender or a Mesh Network be Better?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short ... if you only need one additional "wireless" node to get sufficient coverage in your home, an Extender or second access point running on a different channel than you primary router will be the best bet.   You endpoints will select the unit from which they can get the best signal.

If you have multiple locations which need a wireless boost or you have locations which can't be reach by coax/ethernet to link the extender/access point to the main router, then  Mesh network is better.

View solution in original post

TMM4

If all you need is to improve wifi coverage in one area of the home just pick up a WiFi extender. You can get a decent TP-Link model for about $30. 

0 Likes
TvMesh

Thanks for the reply.  I did read about WiFi extenders, but I thought I would need more than one because of the location of the router compared to where I need to the signal to be.  Since my modem / router is in the basement, I would need an extender on the first floor as it has to be within the signal area to extend then another one on the second floor to continue the extension to get to the kids' rooms. 

Also, I have read each extender will half the speed of the internet.  Granted, since I have gigabit connection that would be about 250 mbps (probably less).  I am concerned that speed would be way less because even with my laptop on WiFi next to the router, it is only getting about 100 mbps.  My wired work laptops hit the gigabit mark.

Please correct me if I am wrong on either point. 

0 Likes
Fios TV One hardwired with coax cable with mesh network
TvMesh

Hi. I have read about the Fios TV One box not working with mesh networks unless it is hardwired.  I recently got the Fios One TV box that is hardwired via a coax cable.  I would like to get a mesh network and know to turn off the wifi on the Verizon Quantum Gateway modem / router.  First, I want to make sure the box will not lose capabilities (e.g. dvr, on-demand, etc.) since it is hard-wired via coax cable when I turn off the wifi. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Fios TV One hardwired with coax cable with mesh network
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

TMM's suggestion might be the simplest.

As for your question about the STB not working with wi-fi off, i don't believe that's true - the ethernet and cable connections are still active, and that is all it takes to keep everything functional.

I would suggest trying an extender first - minimal changes to anything.

charlyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hardwired extenders through coax moca is best solution. I have that myself. This way you  don't lose speed or TV. As long as you have a coax in the room you are OK. I just upgraded the G1100 for the G3100 and new Extender E3200 and they work great better signal and distance. I use to use the G1100 with two wcb6200q to get the same coverage since my G1100 was in the basement where my G3100 is now.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short ... if you only need one additional "wireless" node to get sufficient coverage in your home, an Extender or second access point running on a different channel than you primary router will be the best bet.   You endpoints will select the unit from which they can get the best signal.

If you have multiple locations which need a wireless boost or you have locations which can't be reach by coax/ethernet to link the extender/access point to the main router, then  Mesh network is better.