Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

SOLVED
Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-25-2019

Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 1 of 6
(982 Views)

So I'm moving soon and planning on getting an internet only service, the 300/300 tier specifically, so I know I'd be running ethernet from the ONT. 

 

Given that I'll want to have hard wire connections at multiple places in the home, but don't want to run ethernet through the wall, my plan was utilize ethernet to coaxial moca adapters to achieve this. Now, since I won't be utilizing the coax wiring for anything else, I was unsure whether or not this would work given Verizon isn't hooked into it anyway, but it should right? Sort of like how powerline adapters work (I'd rather avoid those because I've had spotty luck in the past).

 

Side note, since I'm doing internet only, I could easily pick rent a router, replace it after the install with my own, then return Verizon's when I make sure it's working, right? I just need to plug the ethernet coming from the ONT and release the Fios branded one in the settings, correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,874
Registered: ‎06-24-2018

Re: Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 2 of 6
(964 Views)

Sure that will work. Wherever you decide to put the router you will connect a MoCA adapter to the LAN port. Then make sure all the coax is connected to a splitter. From there you can place MoCA adapters in the rooms you want a hardwired connection. 
I personally wouldn’t even waste the time renting an router. Just connect whatever router you want to the ONT and make sure you can get online. Once the router is online go to activate.verizon.com and activate your internet and you should be good. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,874
Registered: ‎06-24-2018

Re: Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 2 of 6
(965 Views)

Sure that will work. Wherever you decide to put the router you will connect a MoCA adapter to the LAN port. Then make sure all the coax is connected to a splitter. From there you can place MoCA adapters in the rooms you want a hardwired connection. 
I personally wouldn’t even waste the time renting an router. Just connect whatever router you want to the ONT and make sure you can get online. Once the router is online go to activate.verizon.com and activate your internet and you should be good. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-25-2019

Re: Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 3 of 6
(928 Views)

Thanks for the feedback. One question, when you say make sure the coax is connected to a splitter, you mean the wiring in the house itself, so it's all connect right? Not add a splitter as I wire the devices into the ports on the wall, correct?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,874
Registered: ‎06-24-2018

Re: Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 4 of 6
(922 Views)

@wscovah wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. One question, when you say make sure the coax is connected to a splitter, you mean the wiring in the house itself, so it's all connect right? Not add a splitter as I wire the devices into the ports on the wall, correct?


Right. The coax coming from the ONT will most likely go to a main cable splitter. All the wiring in the house should be connected to that main splitter. Or at least the the coax that goes to the rooms you want to be wired. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-25-2019

Re: Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 5 of 6
(826 Views)

@Edg1 wrote:

@wscovah wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. One question, when you say make sure the coax is connected to a splitter, you mean the wiring in the house itself, so it's all connect right? Not add a splitter as I wire the devices into the ports on the wall, correct?


Right. The coax coming from the ONT will most likely go to a main cable splitter. All the wiring in the house should be connected to that main splitter. Or at least the the coax that goes to the rooms you want to be wired. 


So on the chance the ONT would have to be installed, would the technician hook the home's coax wiring into it regardless, even if I'm doing an ethernet install? Or does the coax wiring even need to be plugged into it if I'm just sending a signal through it to another room via my own network?

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,874
Registered: ‎06-24-2018

Re: Would this ethernet from ONT only set up work?

Message 6 of 6
(809 Views)

@wscovah wrote:

@Edg1 wrote:

@wscovah wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. One question, when you say make sure the coax is connected to a splitter, you mean the wiring in the house itself, so it's all connect right? Not add a splitter as I wire the devices into the ports on the wall, correct?


Right. The coax coming from the ONT will most likely go to a main cable splitter. All the wiring in the house should be connected to that main splitter. Or at least the the coax that goes to the rooms you want to be wired. 


So on the chance the ONT would have to be installed, would the technician hook the home's coax wiring into it regardless, even if I'm doing an ethernet install? Or does the coax wiring even need to be plugged into it if I'm just sending a signal through it to another room via my own network?


I don't see why the tech wouldn't connect the coax to the ONT. But to answer your question, no the ONT doesn't need to be connected to the splitter for the MoCA adapters to work. 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.