Would upgrading my internet speed improve Netflix performance?
marr46

I know there is a lot of controversy surrounding netflix and ISPs which I'm not really interested in. I just know my netflix streaming is terrible right now and I would be willing to upgrade my internet speed if it meant that would improve. Any idea if it would? Thank you/

0 Likes
Re: Would upgrading my internet speed improve Netflix performance?
Sava333
Enthusiast - Level 3

Short answer, no.

They might tell you yes to get an upgrade out of you, but if you were previously able to get perfect streaming from Netflix then your speed should be fine as it is. The internet can only go as fast as the slowest point, so while there's a bottleneck somewhere between Netflix and your Fios connection, any increase in speed on your side will unfortunately not do anything.

anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
NO! Don't do it.

You'll just be throwing more money at Verizon with no change in performance. Realistically you could probably downgrade your speed, save yourself money, and see no change in your Netflix performance.
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Upgrading your Internet connection will not improve your performance w/Netflix.

Verizon has intentionally downgraded their broadband service w/Netflix (please follow the link below):

http://business.time.com/2014/02/19/netflix-verizon-peering/?iid=biz-main-mostpop1

I guess I'll have to cancel my Netflix account until they reach an agreement with Verizon.

anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
"I guess I'll have to cancel my Netflix account until they reach an agreement with Verizon."

aaannnnd Verizon just won.
alinux
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is not your Internet speed it is the link between Verizon and the Netflix ISP, you could use VPN to jump over this limitation, see http://thevpn.guru/netflix-streaming-problems-verizon/

SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

Change the DSN server to the ones provided by unlocator.com

That will give you netflix access that you are paying for.

0 Likes