Wrong internet location
monni10

why do the computers and tablets in my house show a different location? (2 desktops, Surface Tablet). They all specify I am in Lynbrook NY. I am actually 30miles away. No its not a big issue although it would be nice to get the most accurate weather.

Ive searched other forums, some say it has something to do with their internet provider. Any ideas how that can be fixed? I appreciate the feedback. 

0 Likes
Re: Wrong internet location
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do they have a GPS inside and/or cellular radio?  If not, then the location is being determined by the WiFi and is likely indicating the hub point from which your internet service is being originated since there's nothing else to base your location on.

Re: Wrong internet location
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A lot of times, services are using an IP address to location mapping service like one of these listed at this link. MaxMind is a popular one I have heard of. They use ICANN records and other methods to determine an address associated with that IP. For a group of dynamic IP addresses like those that residential customers work with, the owner/registered address is the ISP themselves. Their business address could be many miles from where the service is actually running.

I know that the first time I use a new machine and go to the Home Depot web site, I've suddendly moved from Leesburg, VA to Culpepper, VA. Culpepper is almost 60 miles from my house. Why? Because Verizon has a large data center in Culpepper.

I've also seen Winchester, VA fairly often (about 30 miles away).

All those sites, including the weather ones I use, let me store my zip code or actual address (stored as a cookie on my machine, I suspect). After that, they are pretty good at remembering.