XBox 360 Live IP Address Problem
Athena856

We upgraded to Fios about 6 months ago and had no problems with logging on to xbox live.  We have a wireless network.  Then our xbox died and we got a new one.  I moved the xbox wireless device from the old one to the new one.  Now we cannot connect to xbox live, error message is no IP address is assigned.

I followed the instructions on xbox support plus about 2 hours on the phone with them.  We set to factory settings, IP set to automatic, typed in the WEP key, power cycled all devices--many times.  But still the router will not assign an IP Address.  Support was trying to insist I had the wrong WEP key but it has worked for my computers, I have not changed it, and after about 10 times I know I typed it in correctly.  We have two other laptops that have no problems with the internet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: XBox 360 Live IP Address Problem
prisaz
Legend

According to the X-Box site there were changes with the software at the end of October 2009. Even if the box is new, it may have been on the shelf for a while. I would think the MS support persons would know this, but just incase here is the link that may help.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?id=977641&lcid=1033&category=hardware

Also there is a wireless N adapter that is available now, and the Actiontec router does not support wireless N. So if you have the newer adaptor it may give you trouble withe the newer box and Actiontec. The X-Box site does not list the Actiontec as a compatable device, and even if it worked before, it may be giving you trouble with the software loaded or not loaded in October.

If possible try the X-box with a hardwired connection and see if it works without wireless. I know it may require a really long CAT-5 cable or relocation the Xbox or router temporarily, but it would tell you if the issue is wireless or X-Box related.

0 Likes