XBox Live Hijacking My Router
barkleygracie

I use a computer connected by Ethernet to my Verizon FIOS Actiontec MI424WR router.  Ever since my son got XBox live, whenever he plays the game (he connects wirelessly to the router from the basement), it knocks out the internet connection on my computer and others in the house.  Other wireless laptops in the house get an "IP conflict" error message when they try to connect wirelessly while he is on the XBox.  Is there some setting or port I need to open on the router to avoid this problem?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: XBox Live Hijacking My Router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 It is nice that he setup a Static IP on his Xbox, but it seems he did it wrong.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

#2 In the router go to Advanced > IP Address Distribution.

#3 What is the DHCP Range of the router?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

he probably just needs to change the ip address   he set it to one that is common, and there is a conflict.

0 Likes
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

My guess is that if he does not keep it running all the time, the Actiontec drops the XBox and assigns its IP to some other device that connects later after it gets shut off.  Then, when it gets turned back on and some other device already has been assigned its IP a fight ensues.  I have had things like a VOiP adapter and a downstream router that I assigned static addresses to with no problems, but they were online the whole time, so the Actiontec had no problems assigning higher-numbered dynamic addresses to the different computers as they came on line later.

Since this is (I assume) an on-again-off-again thing — and you just really need the XBox to have its own static address, you could assign it a number higher than the number of devices you will be connecting.  In other words, if the highest IP in your Actiontec control panel (w/o the XBox and with all other devices connected and running) is 192.168.1.5, just make the XBox 192.168.1.6 (or higher) and you should be OK.