Re: XP Pro / Outlook 2000 won't send optonline.net account emails
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If you want to use the verizon outgoing mail server for mail for email from the Optimum account make sure you select:

My Outgoing server requires authentication

then choose Log on using (instead of use same settings as my incoming mail server)

Enter your Verizon username and password

Jim

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@webbrewers wrote:

We can still access it through the web front end, but it's the wife's address and she's used to seeing it in Outlook..........

As for using the outgoing Verizon server, I believe you have to in Outlook so that's how we have it set. The OOL server didn't work at all for sending.

I'm confused now.  Is it sending or receiving OOL mail in Outlook that's causing you the problem on the one XP Pro machine?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

These are sample settings for a non verizon email address (@gmail.com or @yourcompanyname.com for example)

Incoming
Your incoming mail server
no ssl
Your email address
your username
your password

outgoing
outgoing.verizon.net
no ssl
my server requires authentication = yes
your verizon username (should be the same thing that you use to sign in at »webmail.verizon.com, test your password by logging in at that website, if it doesn't work, then reset your password and use the correct information)
your verizon password
should work on 25 since this part is verizon, but if it doesn't work for whatever reason try 587

sometimes third party mail servers don't play nice, and don't use 587 for their alternate port. like go daddy often uses port 80 for ougoing as an example.

0 Likes
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response but that's exactly how it's set up, with only 1 out of 3 OOL addresses not working.

My workaround is just to foward the OOL account to the Verizon.account.

0 Likes
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sending is the problem. It receives ok.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

and you can log in with the vz id at the htttp://webmail.verizon.com    ?

if you can receive you're ok on the incoming settings, don't touch those.  if you can't send then you need to look at those outgoing settings, the sample one I gave you works for me and a bunch of other folks.   don't bother changing the port to 587 or anything like that, use standard port 25.   the user id and password have to be able to log you in at the above site though. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

that is a decent work around too.   I would probably do the same if I couldn't get it going.   odd problem. 

0 Likes
megamike1957
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you disable any firewall software to see if that my be your problem

0 Likes
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did try disabling the Wimdows firewall and it didn't help. The firewall set up with a mixed XP PRO/Home wireless network is complicated by the need to set up group policy rules in XP PRO. I'm pretty sure it's a setting there causing the problem but can't narrow it down. . 

0 Likes
thomasrobert

In this case, I couldn't send outgoing email via my SMTP server on port 25 despite the ..... I uninstalled Outlook XP and installed Outlook 2000 on my own system.

--------------------

Domain Name Checker

0 Likes