Xbox Live problems
courtkid1012

I've used the searchbar, google, and called Verizon.  No one can help me.

In mid june I switched to Verizon and my xbox live hasn't worked since.  When I search for my connection it shows up and says connected with 4/4 bars.  Then when I go to test the connection it fails without connecting at all.  It fills in an IP address and subnet mask.  Then the gateway reads 0.0.0.0    It doesn't fill in anything for DNS though.  What's the problem?

0 Likes
Re: Xbox Live problems
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@courtkid1012 wrote:

I've used the searchbar, google, and called Verizon.  No one can help me.

In mid june I switched to Verizon and my xbox live hasn't worked since.  When I search for my connection it shows up and says connected with 4/4 bars.  Then when I go to test the connection it fails without connecting at all.  It fills in an IP address and subnet mask.  Then the gateway reads 0.0.0.0    It doesn't fill in anything for DNS though.  What's the problem?

Well the gateway address is wrong. with all 0's the xbox will not talk to the router. This sounds like the xbox is not pulling its IP automatically. Since you said 4/4 bars, I'm assuming that you are using a wireless connection. Is it set up for WEP security with the WEP key inserted in the Xbox? Or did you give the Xbox a static IP?

Post your XBOX settings and we will take a closer look

0 Likes
courtkid1012
By xbox settings do you mean post my IP address and all that?

I put in the WEP key correct and I'm sure of it.  Then it automatically found the IP address and subnet mask.  I think it might have to do with that page for the router where it lists everything connected (the one you type in your IP address or something to access, but I'm not sure).

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

what was the IP address and subnet mask that it pulled?

0 Likes
courtkid1012

IP address: 169.254.234.151

subnet: 255.255.0.0

everything else reads with 0's 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@courtkid1012 wrote:

IP address: 169.254.234.151

subnet: 255.255.0.0

everything else reads with 0's 

ok 169 address means that it is not talking to the router at all. Thats the default address the Microsoft uses when it cannot connect to a device. So the likely issues are 1. that the wireless settings are incorrect 2. it is having trouble communicating wirelessly because either the wireless on the router or xbox is not working correctly. or 3. the settings on the xbox are not set to DHCP (automatic IP address retrieval)

Do you have any wireless computers that are working?

0 Likes
courtkid1012
Yea, everything wireless works fine.  My friend brought his laptop by and all I had to do was put in the WEP and it worked fine.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

good, then that means that we can just focus on the Xbox. Ok these are the steps that were sent to me by an xbox expert and they worked flawlessly for me. Give'em a shot...

From the Xbox 360® Dashboard, select the System tab and choose Network Settings. Press A to continue.

From the Network Settings screen, reset the Xbox 360 ® by selecting the Restore to Factory Defaults choice (5th selection). Press A to continue.

You will then be prompted to Apply Settings, highlight Test Media and press A to proceed.

If the Xbox 360 ® was previously configured to connect with an Access Point the warning screen below will display. Press A to complete the Restore to Factory Default process.

The Network Settings screen will then display.

The Test Media Connection screen will display. The Wireless Network status will show as "Not Connected". The Xbox 360 ® will now need to be reconfigured to add the router SSID and WEP key. Press B to return to the Network Settings screen.

Select edit settings (3rd selection). Press A to continue.

Highlight and select the Wireless Mode area of the screen. Press A to continue.

From the Xbox 360® display of wireless networks found, select the router SSID  Press A to continue.

From the Xbox 360® display, enter the router WEP key When finished, select Done and press A to continue

When prompted, select Test Media. Press A to continue.

Note: Test Media is testing the Xbox’s connectivity with the Access Point / router (trying to get an IP address from the router). This is LAN side activity and should be successful even without an Internet connection.

Return to the Network Settings menu and select Test Xbox Live Connection (1st selection). Press A to continue.

The Test Xbox Live Connection results should show as connected (IP address was successfully received from the router).

If the Connection Failed screen is displayed, continue

If the connection status to Xbox Live shows failed, it is necessary to power cycle the Xbox 360®. It should connect automatically to the wireless after the power cycle.

Now these steps did come with pictures but I cant post those here. but these steps should walk you right through it.

0 Likes
courtkid1012
Eh, that isn't really much.  Basically all it does is tell you to hit restore to factory defaults which I've done a million times.  I guess I'll just have to retry resetting the router.  Maybe if I call Verizon and tell them to send someone I can request someone who's good with xbox stuff.  Thanks for your help though.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
actually Verizon will not support the xbox. You most likely will not find anyone to even talk to that can help you over the phone. Your only hope for help is here on the forums or to contact Xbox. If you follow the steps that I posted and it still doesnt work, and you have wireless computer that do work, the problem is with the xbox. They would be my next call if was me.
0 Likes