Xbox One S negotiates only 100Mbps down/up speeds when connected directly to G3100.
mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have recently upgraded to the 1Gbps Fios service and received a brand-new G3100 router.   When my Xbox One S was connected to the G3100 router through a Netgear GS308 switch, it clocked at ~800Mbps download & ~25Mbps upload speeds.  The download speed was awesome and the lower upload speed was not a big deal and consistent with other posts I found online.

However, after I connected the Xbox directly to the G3100 router through the same cable and hoping to increase the upload speed, I started getting only ~96Mbps down and ~90Mbps up.   The G3100 Web GUI shows that the G3100 LAN port to which the Xbox is connected is auto-negotiated at 100Mbps Full-Duplex. I tried to force the port to 1000Mbps but after about 30 seconds the router reverted back to 100Mbps.

I did a full Xbox restart and a full G3100 restart several times, swapped around cables/connections but whichever LAN port the Xbox is connected to continues to negotiate as 100Mbps Full-Duplex.  By now, I am pretty confident that the lower speed is related to the Xbox-G3100 negotiation.  I have three other devices connected to the G3100 and all three negotiate 1000Mpbs Full-Duplex without any trouble.

The G3100 is supposed to be state-of-the-art but I am frustrated that it seems to fail at such a simple task as negotiating a hard-wired connection. Are there any settings I should change on the router or the Xbox?

0 Likes
Re: Xbox One S negotiates only 100Mbps down/up speeds when connected directly to G3100.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically, an issue like this is caused by bad or marginal cables, connectors or even a slightly damaged Ethernet port.  However, it sounds like you've done a lot of diagnostics by switching cables and ports, so I'm stumped, too.

The only other tests I can think of are to get another Xbox and G3100 to test with.  I get it that this isn't so easy, but it's the next thing I would try.

I'm not aware of any settings on the Xbox to change auto-negotiation.  I my home we have an Xbox One that connects at 1Gbps to our G1100 without issue.   I don't have a G3100 to test with.

If you can get 1Gbps with a switch between the two, this suggests something marginal on one of the ports.  You may just want to leave the switch in place rather then trying to figure out what's wrong.

Re: Xbox One S negotiates only 100Mbps down/up speeds when connected directly to G3100.
mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply!  I like your idea of a different G3100 and/or Xbox but the troubleshooting just gets WAY too time consuming and frankly not worth my time.  I was hoping for a setting on either device to adjust/play with. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I advise you to test with a new cable. Also, check both RJ 45 ports for oxide coating. Sometimes poor contact and corroded connectors do not deliver full speeds.

mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply!  I have tested three different cables, all four ports on the G3100 and verified that all cables can support close-to-1Gbps speeds with different devices other than the Xbox.  I also know that the Xbox port is able to support close-to-1Gbps down speed when connected through a switch. Therefore, I suspect this could be a software issue either with the Xbox NIC or with the G3100 itself, which is a fairly new device on the market.  Perhaps similar one to the 800Mbps down / 25Mbps up speed asymmetry on the Xbox One S that was described online many times.  I was hoping to find a setting on either device that I had missed and that I could adjust/tinker with.  But no luck so far.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you get 1Gbps with a switch in the path?  If so, can you take the easy path and leave it in place?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think the OP tries to utilize that switch for other purposes.

Can you contact X-Box support for further guidance? It seems the problem does not reside on G3100.

mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both for starting a vigorous conversation.  Exactly as Cang_household has stated - I am trying to:

1. Consolidate as many hard-wired connections as possible on a single and fast device - the G3100.
  2. Connect the Xbox as the most bandwidth-hungry device as close as possible to the fiber ONT - again the G3100 fits that bill perfectly.
  3. Provide the most speed and lowest latency for the Xbox - the G3100 is supposedly the most-state-of-the-art device in the house and I'm getting it for $0/month on the 1Gbps Fios service.

So, yes I can keep the switch in the network but it doesn't feel right that the Xbox and the G3100 are unable to communicate at full speed.

I have a couple more conversations going, including at Microsoft, and will post back here if I learn anything of substance. So far, no luck.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mchytil wrote:

So, yes I can keep the switch in the network but it doesn't feel right that the Xbox and the G3100 are unable to communicate at full speed.

I get it, something is definitely wrong if you can't get a 1Gbps connection between the two devices.  The question is how much time and effort do you want to spend debugging this when inserting a switch solves the problem? 

Note that the latency a switch adds is usually quite small.

mchytil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly - I was hoping to find a setting buried in a menu that I may have missed.  However, this looks like a more fundamental problem perhaps related to the network interface driver on either device so I will live with it for a while.