Re: Xbox live connection issues--DNS settings - Primary and secondary
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't have an Xbox so I can't see if XBL is down for Verizon in my area, though the Xbox forums and main site are loading up here. It sounds like a router somewhere is having an issue with a routing table or a link.

ubercaek
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the save problem, also live in Maryland.  I ran a tracert on xbox.com and it looks like I reach a Microsoft page (microsoft-gw.customer.alter.net) right before I start getting request time outs, so it might really be a problem with Xbox's servers.  Has anyone contacted Xbox support yet?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

microsoft-gw.customer.alter.net hops are the peering points between Microsoft's Network and Verizon's network. If that is as far as you are going in a trace, the problem is probably with a router or a link at that point then.

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

@ubercaek wrote:

I'm having the save problem, also live in Maryland.  I ran a tracert on xbox.com and it looks like I reach a Microsoft page (microsoft-gw.customer.alter.net) right before I start getting request time outs, so it might really be a problem with Xbox's servers.  Has anyone contacted Xbox support yet?

I contacted xbox live last night and they basically ran me through the things I already did to troubleshoot it.

1. Rebooted router several times.

2. Cleared xbox 360 memory cache.

3. Checked port forwarding for the following:

4. Made sure the following network ports are open on the firewall:

a. Port 88 (UDP)

b. Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

c. Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

d .Port 80 (TCP)

Another thing I tried was manually setting the DNS Server settings.  Instructions here.  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978847

If anyone has any luck please pass this along to the group here.

Cdrinkard
Enthusiast - Level 2

try using namebench to find the best DNS or use googles public DNS's 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 or verizon's DNS's  4.2.2.1; 4.2.2.2; 4.2.2.3; 4.2.2.4 or 4.2.2.5

also either port forward or dmz don't do both.

DutchBoy2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Interesting.

Not sure it's a Verizon Internet issue only though!

We are in NJ. We haven't hadd FIOS TV or Internet since Sunday, June 20! Each day we've been calling and first we had to be home for a service visit and now apparently there's a cut cable somewhere. It's June 25 now - 5 days without internet and TV is starting to get to us!

Yesterday, our neighbor graciously allowed us to us her Comcast WiFi to connect to the internet. Hooray! We connect our Xbox back to the internet but did not manage to connect to Xbox Live ;-(

So we ended up watching netflix on our mini laptop.

Anyway, it seems to me the problems with Xbox live are not Verizon related but looking forward to hear if anybody has a good solution!

In the meantime, we are going into our 6th day without internet and TV service....I guess I'll call customer service again. This is starting to get more than ridiculous!

Havok_SCOUT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I contacted Xbox live support and went through the port forwarding and such, and he also suggested to try the Google DNS server, but no luck. I also live in Maryland and am glad that I'm not alone in this issue.

blueriver77
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hello.
I live in MD, and having the same issue. Xbox live worked fine until 2 days ago, then suddenly no more.

I tried everything that xbox and other google search suggested, but nothing worked.
I couldn't even sign in to xbox using the web.

But my friends in other country seemed to be connecting fine, so I tried other country's VPN.
Then guess what. Everything worked fine! (Beside the speed, of course)

I am not a tech person so I don't know what is wrong, but this certainly suggests it's not my router's problem nor xbox live server is down.

For now, I can connect to xbox live using this VPN, but connecting american server through other country even though I live in america feels pretty stupid.

If this is not fixed soon, probably I should think about comcast cable internet.

P.S. I couldn't even connect here using my computer, so I am writing this on my phone (verizon service)
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

@Cdrinkard wrote:

try using namebench to find the best DNS or use googles public DNS's 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 or verizon's DNS's  4.2.2.1; 4.2.2.2; 4.2.2.3; 4.2.2.4 or 4.2.2.5

also either port forward or dmz don't do both.

Tried all of these DNS's to no avail.  Still won't sign in.

Also won't work regardless whether I DMZ or port forward my 360.

joedogg9999
Enthusiast - Level 1

Im glad that atleast it isnt just me. Everything was working fine 2 days ago just like everyone else, then nothing. I have also tried everything regarding router setting. so apparently it isnt our routers. I am also a maryland area fios user, owings mills to be exact.

i really hope they can fix this soon because im paying per month for netflix and other services through xbl that are going t waste right now. verizon is costing me money with this.

hell i even ended up deleting my profiles and netflix off of my HDD incase they got corrupt, so Im going to have to revocer my gamertag, do my profile over again and redownload netflix whenever this gets resolved