Re: Xbox live connection issues--DNS settings - Primary and secondary
ubercaek
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just went through the Live Chat support and got the problem resolved (at least for me).

Representative said:

I found that there is a routing problem. Losing the connection at the 12 hop for Maryland customers.

I will go ahead and release the ip address on the router by running the break DHCP command from my end. However, we might get disconnected from the chat session. We will get a new ip address and it will take care of the issue for us. I have fixed similar issues for our valuable customers today.

Once we release the ip address, we have to power cycle the router manually from your end.

In case if we are disconnected from the chat, please do a power cycle and check. Trust me, you will never have to contact us again for the same reason.

Basically, tech support can release your IP address, then once you cycle power to your router you will grab a new one.  After the router booted back up, I was able to get to both xbox.com on my PC and Xbox Live on my Xbox 360.

CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Can anyone else get to this using their verizon fios connection.  I can access it at work but not at home.

http://www.support.xbox.com/

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.support.xbox.com/ is showing no route on my end (I'm on DSL). It is an Akamai server so I might be mistaken, but it seems to be timing out in the Verizon network.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>tracert www.support.xbox.com

Tracing route to support.xbox.microsoft.akadns.net [65.54.166.123]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.3.1]
  2     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  10.15.3.1
  3     9 ms     9 ms     8 ms  so-1-1-0-0.BUFF-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.13.73]
  4    20 ms    19 ms    20 ms  as4-0.NY325-BB-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.81.20.104]
  5    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  0.so-0-0-0.XL3.NYC4.ALTER.NET [152.63.1.41]
  6    21 ms    20 ms    20 ms  TenGigE0-4-2-0.GW8.NYC5.ALTER.NET [152.63.16.73]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10  ^C
C:\Users\>

http://support.xbox.com/ is routing correctly for me and is working.

0 Likes
dadoublen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Confirmed ubercaek - Thanks for the info!

I contacted FIOS online chat support and they were able to fix the issue using the steps you listed.

Smiley Very Happy

joedogg9999
Enthusiast - Level 1
I alsi had my ip released but now all i get is the MTU error on xbl. Any ideas?
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, I'm on now. 

If you want an agent to fix this go to

http://www22.verizon.com/content/contactus/

and click on Live Chat.

-------

If you want to fix it yourself follow these instructions to change the router's IP Address.

1.  Log into your Verizon router by typing in 192.168.1.1/ to you internet browser.

2.  Username is admin

3.  Default Password is the Verizon's router serial number on the bottom of the router under the bar code.

4.  When you have logged in, click My Network.

5.  Click on Network connections on the left pane.

6.  Click on Broadband Connection (coaxial)

7.  Click on Settings.

8.  About 3/4th of the way down the page you should see DHCP Lease: and a Release and Renew button.

9.  Click Release and wait for it to go through the step.

10. Afterwards Click the Renew button.

11.  Click the Apply button once that is complete.

12.  Reboot your router (turn off for 30 second and turn on and wait 1 minute).

13.  Turn on your Xbox and connect to Xbox Live. 

14.  Did it work.  If not repeat the steps or contact Verizon through Live Chat for additional assistance.

Let me know if this works or if there are any adjustments needed to the steps I went through so I can update them to help others.

DaGuru
Enthusiast - Level 1

Expereinced the same problems as everyone else.  I logged into my router and released/renewed the IP address and then did a power cycle on the modem and I am logged into Xbox Live.  Thanks!!!

Cmgalla
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mates,

I called xbox and went through the port forwarding steps, etc, to no avail.  The way to clear the trouble is to break the DHCP lease within your fios router and then renew.  The way to do this is without calling in to tech support is as follows:

1.  type 192.168.1.1 into your address bar.  enter admin as username and either password or password1 as the password (or your own specific username and password if you didn't go with the Verizon default).

2.   Go to "my network" icon at the top of page, select it, then select "network connections," followed by "broadband connection (coax)" in the center of the page. 

3.  Scroll down to the bottom and select "Settings."  A new page will appear, scroll about halfway down and you will see two blue boxes in the center of the page labelled "renew" and "release."  Select "release."  The router will break the DHCP lease.

4.  Select "renew."  The router will power cycle itself and adopt the new IP address.  Give it about 30 seconds to a minute to complete the cycle. 

5.  Run the connection test again on XBOX live and it should go all the way.  Try to sign in and go from there.

Hope this helps.

sfish2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for this post!!!  Spent much time troubleshooting, both on my own and with Verizon on the phone... while on the phone with Verizon, saw this post and instructed the Tech to follow verbatim... WORKED, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Edgar12
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you guys. The customer service at Verizon has gone to crap but you guys did an awsome job.