Yet another "ONT after power outage" question (network light out)
apfamilyfun
(Didn't see exactly this question answered in my google searches)

After pulling the front panel, the "power" led is green, and "link" is green. All others are out.
I repeatedly power cycled the ONT (and also used the "hold down alarm silence for 10s" trick).

Other people in the neighborhood have a working service.

I contacted FIOS live chat, they scheduled a tech for Wed 😞

I'm a bit confused what the tech can accomplish, if it was a cable issue it would affect anyone; the hw on my side looks fine; so presumably he's just going to call back to a buddy in tier 2 support who'll press a button somewhere?

Does anyone have experience of this problem and what exactly the tech will do (and if I can short circuit that with a magic passphrase to live chat or phone)?
0 Likes
Re: Yet another "ONT after power outage" question (network light out)
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon's used a number of different ONTs over the years, so some of this may not apply. Power and Battery should be green (assuming you have a battery backup unit) and your power is on. Link signifies that your link inside the house is up (at least to the router). The automated network troubleshooter can fix a number of things if your ONT can be reached. Since the Network light is not on then the fiber link is probably down. If that's the case, there's really nothing a customer representative can do over the phone (unless the problem getting the link running is inside the central office rather than your ONT).

Since your neighbors still have service, that supports the notion that this is an issue with your line (specifically the one between the neighborhood distribution box and your house) or your ONT. ONTs do go bad. I'm on my second one and so is my son. (We have two completely different ONT's too. His is small, inside his house and has no battery backup. Mine is large, outside and has a battery backup [inside]. My daughter has yet another type of ONT. It's inside, smaller than mine and has a battery backup.) It'swould be telling if your (red) fail light was on or flashing. That said, my son's ONT fail light didn't come on either. His ONT just stopped working. There wasn't even a power failure involved.

0 Likes
apfamilyfun

Thanks for the analysis - sounds pretty plausible. I found a Verizon tech on a different forum who thought that likely that some of the circuitry was fried (but some was unaffected, hence the working lights). So seems like there's nothing to do but wait for the tech since a hardware replacement will be necessary. Duly filed under "these things happen"!

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did this ever get sorted out? I'd like to think you are back in business by now.

<Crossing fingers>

0 Likes