Re: You can bridge the Fios Quantum Gateway Router
trouble-tech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new installation of FIOS with the 150/150 internet. I also have FIOS TV service. My network is a little  complicated, and like many posting in this thread, I was concerned that I was going to have configuration problems. Basically, previously, I had Cox Cable internet service. I had their DOCSYS 3 Cable Modem connected directly to a router, which provide DHCP for my LAN, both wired and wireless. Like many here, some of my programs/equipment needs direct access to the net IP address for correct routing in and out, DDNS, etc. In my existing configuration, my router gets the external IP address directly from the cable modem. It's very simple, just set it to use DHCP, externally, plug and play. No problem.

Enter my new configuration, where I have FIOS cable and LAN coming out of the FIOS ONT. As it's set up when the tech leaves, the LAN cable (CAT6) runs from the ONT to the Quantum Router. The cable runs through a splitter directly to the TV(s) and Quantum Router. The Quantum router is needed to inject the Guide data, PPV, etc., into your cable TV system. The assumption is that you will access the internet through the Quantum router, either wireless or wired. If you do not have higher speed >100 MB internet, and have TV then you still have the CAT6 line the ONT to the router. If you do not have TV, you may have only cable to the Quantum router for <100 MB. For >100 MB internet only, you likely have only the CAT6 from the ONT to Quantum router.

Looking at this configuraton, and all of the many posts, and problems people were having, I was prepared for a major headache! If you want your system (personal router) to see the internet directly, there are pages and pages of complicated instructions as to how to configure your Quantum router as a "bridge," how to set up DMZs for your system, etc, etc. What a pain!

After much research, let's forget about all of that complexity. The solution, simple an sweet:

Number one point: If you have TV, for the purposes of supplying the guide, PPV, etc. your Quantum router only needs access to the internet. Forgetting for a moment about your router, internet woes, this is an important point. This internet access can be anything which allows routing to the internet. I tested this by plugging the WAN port of the Quantum router, with FIOS coaxial cable attached, into my local router, still actve on Cox Cable internet. The guide, everything worked fine. The Quantum WiFi even worked, via Cox internet. So, the bottom line, the Quantum router doesn't care whether it's connected to FIOS internet, or not. It can even be connected to the internet via a cellular hub and still provide full functionality.

Simple procedure, assuming TV and internet:

1. Unplug your ONT from power. I don't have telephone, so I don't have a battery back up. If you do, remove the battery to kill the power on the ONT. Also unplug power from your router and the Quantum router.

2. Unplug the WAN cable from the Quantum router and plug this into the WAN port on your router (ONT ethernet port to your router's WAN port.)

-- Your router should be set up to use DHCP externally and to act as a DHCP server internally, just as it would in a normal WAN/LAN configuration with NAT (where it assigns IPs on your LAN)

3. Plug the Quantum router into one of your router's LAN ports. Leave the TV cable attached just like the technician left it.

4. Allow time for the Verizon Central Office to forget about your ONT or call Verizon and ask them to reset it. I would give it about 2 hours if you are patient to wait. I went to the supermarket shopping.

After waiting or resettng via Verizon:

5. Switch on the ONT. I would give it about 5 minutes. Don't be impatient.

Then in order, switch on your router. Allow another about 5 minutes.

Then, switch on the Quantum Router.

The Quantum white light will blink fast, then slow, then become solid on the Quantum router. The solid light doesn't mean everything worked. It just means it has successfully connected to your LAN and has an IP assigned.

Everything should work normally!

As a note, if you have <100 MB internet, with the same setup, and cable only to your Quantum router, you may need to call Verizon tech support to reconfigure your ONT to activate the ethernet port. Once they do, you can eliminate the Quantum router, or plug it into your own LAN for use as a WiFi hub. If you want to try to pull your LAN directly off the Quantum router and into your router using a cable only configuration (you don't want to plug a LAN into the ONT,) and need to see the internet IP from your router then you have to deal with the complication discussed previously.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) You could have saved yourself the 2 hours by logging in to router and doing a release on the DHCP  address prior to moving it to your new router.

2) If you still can, retry your previous test by powering off the STB and then seeing if if it will load. Guide data is stored locally on STB. Only needs to go to Internet to get more data or if STB is reset. Plus STB needs to be able to download software. And you don't mention if you have tried VOD or remote control/viewing of your DVR.

Too many people have struggled with trying to conenct up as you have stated. And it always comes down to having to do port forwarding.

trouble-tech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I generally power cycle everything if I am  moving devices from one network to another. Some systems are well behaved and resync, as they should. Others not so much so. If people are trying to get their personal/business ethernet router (in DHCP mode) to be first in line, usually migrating from a cable modem setup to FIOS, what I have suggested avoids any configuration changes. You only need to be sure your ONT has the ethernet port enabled. Then, power cycle and plug the Quantum router into your router.

It seems the ONT pairs the MAC address and IP address together. It often holds this data through a short reset/power cycle. So, if you change first in line devices you need to power cycle it off for a while or have Verizon reset it.

The above just reflects my opinion and what seems to be a pretty universal configuration. I suspect the biggest problem people have attempting this is locked/mismatched IPs/Subnets/MAC pairing issues where everything is connected properly, but doesn't appear to work. I can't tell you how many hours such invisible and apparent problems have caused me. Just today, I spent four hours trying to install a simple 8 port smart ethernet switch, which doggedly wouldn't release its configuration data.

0 Likes
BigbirdPhila
Contributor - Level 1

2) If you still can, retry your previous test by powering off the STB and then seeing if if it will load. Guide data is stored locally on STB. Only needs to go to Internet to get more data or if STB is reset. Plus STB needs to be able to download software. And you don't mention if you have tried VOD or remote control/viewing of your DVR.

trouble-tech can you tell us if you reset the STB after you hooked everything up and the above tests worked?  

trouble-tech
Enthusiast - Level 2

The STB cycles and functions normally. On power disconnect, it boots and loads all guides as it should. It takes several minutes to complete booting and reloading everything.

On the remote function via Android, etc. I use my own WiFi connected to a different port on the router which is connected to the ONT. I can not access my STB via the Android App and control it if I am connected to my WiFi. But, I can if I connect to the Quantum router's WiFi and control everything just as it would work if connected by the technician. This is not convenient for me, as the Quantum router and ONT are too far away from my TVs for a reasonable connection.

As a note, the Quantum router is connected normally to the coaxial cable via the splitter going to the ONT and TV(s.) This is just as it was set up by the technician. The only difference is the Quantum router is connected to a port on my router (which is connected t the ONT) not to the ethernet port on the ONT directly. As a further note, the STB/Quantum router pair will also work normally if the Quantum router is connected to the internet via Cox Communications internet serv ice. I tested this. It simply needs internet access via the Quantum router's WAN port.

Everything works completely normally. I haven't encountered any issues.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So that means you can't use one of the biggest features of Quantum is the ability to stream DVR content outside of your house.

May not be an issue if you don't intend to use it, but could be a big deal to others.

0 Likes
trouble-tech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't use the DVR function. But, I don't think my configuration would preclude the use of the out of house function. As I mentioned, I can connect via WiFt to the Quantum router, just not in my living room, and perform all STB functions normally. If I need to access/connect to the Quantum router from outside of the house via the internet it shouldn't be a problem. Verizon will route any traffic coming to the Qauntum router to my IP address, as visible from my router. I would just need to know the port(s) they attempt to open. Depending on the router you are using the setup would vary. So, describing the process for my router wouldn't be helpful for most. But, it would be rather easy to route this internet traffic/port to the Quantum router's corresponding port.

0 Likes
GHirsch11714

I've been trying to successfully bridge my FiOS-G1100 router with my pfSense router. I'm still having issues and a bit unclear about the proceedure in accomplishing this. The two steps I'm particualrly still having an issue with are:

18. Network (Home/Office) โ€“ Settings โ€“ Network โ€“ Broadband Connection โ€“ Apply

19. Top Menu โ€“ Advanced โ€“ MAC Cloning โ€“ Set Mac of Device โ€“ Broadband (Coax)

For step 18. the box is grayed out and does not allow me to change it from Network (Home/Office) to Broadband connection.

This may have something to do with the options I have checked to Bridge. Below is what I currently have set as I am only using my G1100 at the moment. If someone could confirm definitively wheat needs to be checked when I attempt to bridge I would greatly appreciate it. 

In regards to step 19. I would like to confirm the following:

FiOS-G1100 WAN MAC: Assigned the pfSense WAN MAC

pfSense Router: Assigned the WAN MAC of the FiOS-G1100

For whatever reason I cannot get a Verizon IP on my pfSense WAN port. Any help again would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
psherman1

Forget step 21. Just run ethernet to your STB to get VOD.

Actiontec MI424WR/Ubiquity ERL

0 Likes
racnewtown

I have a few questions:

1. for #3, where do you connect? i.e. from my router's LAN port to WAN port of fios router or LAN port of fios router?
  2. By default if both are on same subnet, do I need to change anything? I would want to keep my router on 192.168.1.1 (default) and would not mind changing Fios router's subnet. Any confirmed instructions?

Thanks for your detailed response. Awesome work.

0 Likes