ZYXEL (WAP3205)
MrEdd00

I got this WAP to boost the signal from our verizon router in the back room. I don't have a sync switch on the router. The other set up deals with changing the IP address meaning the WAP has to be plugged into the router. The whole idea was to have a WIRELESS BOOSTER in the middle of the 2 home comps DUUUUU. Is there a way to set this up without a cable or do I need to get another type of WAP to work with verizion router????? what do ya suggest????

0 Likes
Re: ZYXEL (WAP3205)
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

http://www.actiontec.com/products/faqs.php?pid=214#.UcbQbcu9KSM
Hope this helps to answer your question.
Do Actiontec Access Points, Modems and Routers support Wireless Bridging?
No, Wireless Actiontec Modems, Routers and Access Points do not support Wireless Bridging; they function as standard wireless access points, only.

Can I Bridge the Actiontec MI424WR router that Verizon provided, when I signed up for FiOS service?
The MI424WR does not have a bridging option, and neither Verizon nor Actiontec support attempting to bridge it.

The desire to bridge the MI424WR is based on a misunderstanding that it is a modem as well as a router. Actiontec does produce DSL Modems/Router that have a Transparent-Bridging option, which bypasses or disables the router function and allows the Modems/Router to act simply as a DSL modem, when it is enabled. Many consumers do not realize that with FiOS, the ONT (typically outside the home) is the device that handles changing the FiOS signal from Fiber to either Ethernet or Coax, and that the Router is just a Router, and if it was bridged or bypassed, it would be a device without a function. For most Verizon FiOS customers their service would completely stop if the MI424WR was bridged, because the Video on Demand service is dependent on it to work.

If your ONT is connected to the Actiontec MI424WR router via Coax, the MI424WR is required due to the Coax connection. But if the ONT is connected to the MI424WR via Ethernet, then in most cases some other router can be substituted for the MI424WR, and it can be removed.
0 Likes
Re: ZYXEL (WAP3205)
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrEdd00 wrote:

I got this WAP to boost the signal from our verizon router in the back room. I don't have a sync switch on the router. The other set up deals with changing the IP address meaning the WAP has to be plugged into the router. The whole idea was to have a WIRELESS BOOSTER in the middle of the 2 home comps DUUUUU. Is there a way to set this up without a cable or do I need to get another type of WAP to work with verizion router????? what do ya suggest????

It's hard to say what the best route is considering how every setup is different. If these are desktops, it's honestly best to say you're better off getting a wired connection to them in some way, shape or form. They're not going anywhere and really don't need to be on the Wireless. You can get a faster and more reliable connection that way.

Since what you have is an access point, there is one of two ways you can do this. The first method is to set it up as an access point which requires a Wired connection. This is highly recommended as you're not repeating what could be as shoddy wireless connection to begin with, and you're not cutting the wireless bandwidth in half to all machines connected to the access point going back to the FiOS router. Not to mention, should the ActionTec wireless drop, the access point will continue serving machines on it and not take down your entire Wireless network. If the AP turns out to cover your entire house with ease, you can shut down the Wireless on the ActionTec to help clear up wireless spectrum for you and others to use.

The second option is if the AP allows for it, would be to manually configure the AP (likely what you were mentioning). FiOS routers don't support WPS even if they do have the button. To say the least, WPS is also a security issue so it's best that it isn't used or even enabled. Most APs have web interfaces where you can set them up to look for, connect to, and repeat a Wireless signal. This is very easy. Once configured, you can put the unit anywhere it can pick up a decent signal so it can repeat the signal. Just keep in mind the trade-offs I mentioned above. You're subject to the quality of signal from the FIOS router, and you lose half of your bandwidth wirelessly by simply repeating.

For Wired connections, if you have Coax going to the places where your machines are, or where your access point will be, you can make use of that using a MoCa adapter. They are not the cheapest of things, but Netgear and even ActionTec sell the adapters which work for FiOS. This can deliver you a nice 100Mbps Ethernet connection via the existing coaxial cable. Be careful to not buy a DOCSIS cable modem. They may look to do the same thing, but the technolgoies are entirely different and not compatible. The FiOS router already has MoCa built-in, which it uses to communicate with the Set Top Boxes on FiOS TV, and in most cases the ONT as well.

For Wireless, remember the two golden rules: Wireless hates corners, and Wireless hates traveling upwards. "Side to SIde" communication with devices is much easier to obtain steady performance with, when the signal isn't having to travel through odd things and in odd directions.

0 Likes