access router system log
sph110

According to an internet source, it is possible to help locate a lost ipod touch by looking at the router system log to see when the ipod contacted the router.  How do I do this? 

0 Likes
Re: access router system log
Justin46
Legend

@sph110 wrote:

According to an internet source, it is possible to help locate a lost ipod touch by looking at the router system log to see when the ipod contacted the router.  How do I do this? 

I don't understand how finding out when the ipod contacted the router will help find it, but getting to the log is easy:

1) Log into the router. If you have never done it before, the login info should be on the label on your router.

2) click on the System Monitoring tab.

3) Click on Advanced Status on the left side of the screen.

4) Click on Yes.

5) Click on System Logging. What will come up is a fairly detailed activity log. But down at the bottom there is an Advanced button you can click that might give you more detailed information. There is also additional information available under Advanced Status, something there might also help you.

In that log it is not going to say "ipod" or whatever, but it will give you the IP address for each device connecting to the router. So now if you go back to the Main screen you may still find (by IP address) the entry that will identify the ipod, and there it may say "ipod", I don't know because I don't have one, but for my Android phone it says "Android." You may have to go through a process of elimination, determining which IP addresses belong to PCs and STBs if you have FiOS TV service.

I hope this helps. But the most you will find out is when every device connected, it is not going to tell you where each device is, other than it is somewhere within wireless range I guess.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes